Posted to alt.home.repair
Les Les is offline

Default Waiting for paint to cure

I just finished painting a bathroom and need to reinstall the fixtures
and stuff I took down. Of particular concern is the shower curtain
rod. I know the rubber ends will stick to the paint if the paint
hasn't cured enough. Is there any way to expedite the curing
process? Would a heat gun do the trick?

- les

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Les" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just finished painting a bathroom and need to reinstall the fixtures
and stuff I took down. Of particular concern is the shower curtain
rod. I know the rubber ends will stick to the paint if the paint
hasn't cured enough. Is there any way to expedite the curing
process? Would a heat gun do the trick?

- les

No, a heat gun is not a good idea. When did you paint? How many hours ago?
Is it too warm where you live to turn the heat on a bit to lower the
humidity in the house? Add a fan, and you can help speed things up.

On the can of paint you used, what curing time is suggested?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Les wrote:
I just finished painting a bathroom and need to reinstall the
fixtures and stuff I took down. Of particular concern is the
shower curtain rod. I know the rubber ends will stick to the paint
if the paint hasn't cured enough. Is there any way to expedite the
curing process? Would a heat gun do the trick?

Fan? Care to share details such as type of paint? Sheen?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there any way to expedite the curing process?

Not really. Just plan on taking baths instead of showers for the next
two weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:37:54 -0000, Les
wrote:

I just finished painting a bathroom and need to reinstall the fixtures
and stuff I took down. Of particular concern is the shower curtain
rod. I know the rubber ends will stick to the paint if the paint
hasn't cured enough. Is there any way to expedite the curing
process? Would a heat gun do the trick?

- les

A heat gun might damage the paint. Wait several days, then use small
squares of wax paper. After a month, remove the wax squares and apply
a thin coat of oil (or Vaseline) to the wall where the rubber ends
touch. Paint takes about a month to fully cure and harden.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:06:55 -0400, Julie wrote:

For that reason, you don't want to paint bookcase shelves unless you're
willing to wait a year or so before placing heavy items on the shelves.

That's just plain silly. There are tens of millions of bookcase shelves in
the United States alone that have been painted and then used after several
days of curing with no problems whatsoever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:06:02 -0700, Kuskokwim wrote:

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:06:55 -0400, Julie wrote:

For that reason, you don't want to paint bookcase shelves unless you're
willing to wait a year or so before placing heavy items on the shelves.

That's just plain silly. There are tens of millions of bookcase shelves in
the United States alone that have been painted and then used after several
days of curing with no problems whatsoever.

I agree. If you go back to my suggestions, you won't have any
problems with painted bookshelves (using quality paint and follow all
the manufacturer's prep guidelines). I used Johnson's Paste Wax (in
the yellow can) after 4-6 weeks of paint cure time. It is the wait
time that really makes this work and gives a hard durable finish.