dirtracing

Default Repair shop...waiting and waiting

Hi all,

I posted a few months ago about volume distortion with an older tabletop
stereo combo. Was advised to take it to a repair shop. I did this... however
the shop has had it for over 8 weeks. They're a well known shop in town and
I know quite a few satisfied folks who got their TVs and stuff back in 4 to
6 weeks. Been calling every 2 weeks or so and they keep saying "we're still
looking at it" with no mention of when it will be ready or what is wrong.

Now... I don't want to be a pest and certainly don't want to upset them, but
I would like to know when I could expect it back. Is there a "tactful and
polite" way of getting action, or should I just wait since this is normal in
the industry, or ?. Appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
TR

Jerry G.

It may be that your set has a challenging problem for them, and it would be
very expensive to put a tech on it for a large number of hours in a row, if
they are very busy. They may be trying to fix it at a lower cost for the
labour for you, therefore they will do it in periods where things are a bit
slow. Most shops will not tell the customer this, but this type of practice
is commonly done where a lot of labour cost would be involved, and they know
the customer would not want to pay it.

If you come to them and confront them, and say you would pay the total
labour to put a tech on it until there is a resolve, they would most likely
to do this. But, the cost would not be worth it for you. They may spend a
lot of time on it, and find it to be expensive on parts alone, on top of the
labour.

I would let them sit on it for a while more.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"dirtracing" wrote in message
Hi all,

I posted a few months ago about volume distortion with an older tabletop
stereo combo. Was advised to take it to a repair shop. I did this... however
the shop has had it for over 8 weeks. They're a well known shop in town and
I know quite a few satisfied folks who got their TVs and stuff back in 4 to
6 weeks. Been calling every 2 weeks or so and they keep saying "we're still
looking at it" with no mention of when it will be ready or what is wrong.

Now... I don't want to be a pest and certainly don't want to upset them, but
I would like to know when I could expect it back. Is there a "tactful and
polite" way of getting action, or should I just wait since this is normal in
the industry, or ?. Appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
TR

Richard Crowley

If the problem is intermittent, they may be waiting
(and waiting) for it to fail so they can debug it.

JURB6006

Sounds like it's a tough problem. Remember this much, they are in business to
make money and they're not getting it until the unit is repaired.

In some cases we need to order a part and actually install it because it's not
testable, in other cases a print could be on the way. In either case, they have
more motivation than you think to fix it.

JURB