Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Salt Water Instead of Chlorine In Our Pools

The traditional way to clean our pools is with chlorine. It cleans the
water, keeps it clear and helps keep algae away. There are many of us
though that get sore blood shot eyes, and skin irritations from
swimming in the chlorinated swimming pools. Our children ingest the
water by accident while swimming or just for fun when they are playing
water games. Chlorine is toxic. These things aside, the cost is also
very high. There are benefits to switching over from chlorinated pools
to salt water.

Click here to find out more http://www.hippiepower.com/salt-wate...ools/#more-237

Peace and Love Hippie Chick

www.hippiepower.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 10:56 am, Hippie Chick wrote:
The traditional way to clean our pools is with chlorine. It cleans the
water, keeps it clear and helps keep algae away. There are many of us
though that get sore blood shot eyes, and skin irritations from
swimming in the chlorinated swimming pools. Our children ingest the
water by accident while swimming or just for fun when they are playing
water games. Chlorine is toxic. These things aside, the cost is also
very high. There are benefits to switching over from chlorinated pools
to salt water.

Except that salt water doesn't kill bacteria and other nasties, which
is the whole purpose of chlorine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Bud wrote in news:1181071163.651737.115570
@p47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

On Jun 5, 10:56 am, Hippie Chick wrote:
The traditional way to clean our pools is with chlorine. It cleans the
water, keeps it clear and helps keep algae away. There are many of us
though that get sore blood shot eyes, and skin irritations from
swimming in the chlorinated swimming pools. Our children ingest the
water by accident while swimming or just for fun when they are playing
water games. Chlorine is toxic. These things aside, the cost is also
very high. There are benefits to switching over from chlorinated pools
to salt water.

Except that salt water doesn't kill bacteria and other nasties, which
is the whole purpose of chlorine.

I think the OP is talking about sanitizing the pool with a salt generator
system. These systems convert the sodium and chloride molecules and create
chlorine which is the sanitizer. Over time it recombines with the sodium
and continually generates chlorine. I have one of these systems and they
are much easier on the skin and eyes and yes, they are sanitary and much
cheaper to run. You only need to add salt when you open the pool in the
spring, or if you need to top up the pool with fresh water. And the level
of the salt is much less than you have in the ocean. You can barely taste
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hippie Chick wrote:

Drivel that is not worth reading.

Chickie, here's a hint:

water is toxic

Chlorine kills germs, its supposed to be toxic.

Salt water pools are a festering bacterial soup likely
to kill your kids who ingest the water or get it in cuts and scratches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 2:27 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:19:23 -0700, Larry Bud wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:56 am, Hippie Chick wrote:
The traditional way to clean our pools is with chlorine. It cleans the
water, keeps it clear and helps keep algae away. There are many of us
though that get sore blood shot eyes, and skin irritations from
swimming in the chlorinated swimming pools. Our children ingest the
water by accident while swimming or just for fun when they are playing
water games. Chlorine is toxic. These things aside, the cost is also
very high. There are benefits to switching over from chlorinated pools
to salt water.

Except that salt water doesn't kill bacteria and other nasties, which
is the whole purpose of chlorine.

Doesn't gargling with salt water kill bacteria?

it changes the PH balance in your throat which kills some bacteria. I
would imagine the science has discovered that the type of bacteria
that gives you a sore throat dies because of gargling. Can't be said
about all bacteria

Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

: Chlorine kills germs, its supposed to be toxic.

: Salt water pools are a festering bacterial soup likely
: to kill your kids who ingest the water or get it in cuts and scratches.

Co-worker has had a salt water pool for 3 years and neither him, nor
family has had any illnesses related to the pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

runsrealfast wrote:
On Jun 5, 2:27 pm, Meat Plow wrote:

Doesn't gargling with salt water kill bacteria?

it changes the PH balance in your throat which kills some bacteria. I
would imagine the science has discovered that the type of bacteria
that gives you a sore throat dies because of gargling. Can't be said
about all bacteria

Yikes -- don't get your medical advice here, folks!

Gargling with salt water treats the symptom, not the disease. Some of
the pain of a sore throat is due to swelling, and gargling with salt
water helps remove water (by osmosis) from the swollen tissue, thereby
reducing the swelling and decreasing the pain. But the swelling and the
pain return as soon as your body gets more water back into the swollen area.

The sal****er doesn't kill any germs or change the pH of anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/7/2007 9:28 AM Hair Pie said the following:
In alt.home.repair On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 07:56:17 -0700 Hippie Chick
wrote :

The traditional way to clean our pools is with chlorine. It cleans the
water, keeps it clear and helps keep algae away. There are many of us
though that get sore blood shot eyes, and skin irritations from
swimming in the chlorinated swimming pools. Our children ingest the
water by accident while swimming or just for fun when they are playing
water games. Chlorine is toxic. These things aside, the cost is also
very high. There are benefits to switching over from chlorinated pools
to salt water.

If it's truly salt water (and not the generator spoken of on this
thread) it will damage any metal it comes into contact with.

A properly balanced clorine treated pool will not make your eyes burn.
And you can use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH, and liquid bleach for
shocking to save $$

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/borax_20mule.html

Read this site. Look at the tips section:
http://www.poolsolutions.com/

Click here to find out more http://www.hippiepower.com/salt-wate...ools/#more-237

Peace and Love Hippie Chick

www.hippiepower.com

For the past 6 or so years, I have been using a Nature 2 water purifier
in my 18 x 36 inground pool. It has replaced many of the pour in, or
spread in, chemicals. Additionally, I use about a quarter of the
chlorine tablets that I had to use before installing the purifier, i.e.,
a 50 pound can of 3" pellets lasted more than 3 years.
The purifier costs about $250 (cartridge included) and the replacement
cartridges cost between $80 and $100 (depending upon pool size and
retail pricing) and they suggest changing them every two years.
Cartridges are sold by most pool supply houses and on-line.
Company site: http://www.nature2.com/
Below is the old model I have:
http://www.pool-spa-products.com/cgi...408+1181224449.
The usual, 'personal connection' to product or seller, disclaimer applies.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 8:54 pm, BZ wrote:
runsrealfast wrote:
On Jun 5, 2:27 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
Doesn't gargling with salt water kill bacteria?

it changes the PH balance in your throat which kills some bacteria. I
would imagine the science has discovered that the type of bacteria
that gives you a sore throat dies because of gargling. Can't be said
about all bacteria

Yikes -- don't get your medical advice here, folks!

Gargling with salt water treats the symptom, not the disease. Some of
the pain of a sore throat is due to swelling, and gargling with salt
water helps remove water (by osmosis) from the swollen tissue, thereby
reducing the swelling and decreasing the pain. But the swelling and the
pain return as soon as your body gets more water back into the swollen area.

The sal****er doesn't kill any germs or change the pH of anything.

FWIW my statements came from biology class taught by a scientist and
from a textbook written by scientists. I guess you can't believe
everything you learn in college?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 4:27 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:19:23 -0700, Larry Bud wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:56 am, Hippie Chick wrote:
The traditional way to clean our pools is with chlorine. It cleans the
water, keeps it clear and helps keep algae away. There are many of us
though that get sore blood shot eyes, and skin irritations from
swimming in the chlorinated swimming pools. Our children ingest the
water by accident while swimming or just for fun when they are playing
water games. Chlorine is toxic. These things aside, the cost is also
very high. There are benefits to switching over from chlorinated pools
to salt water.

Except that salt water doesn't kill bacteria and other nasties, which
is the whole purpose of chlorine.

Doesn't gargling with salt water kill bacteria?

How many hundred of pounds of salt would you put into your pool to
have the same concentration as your salt-water gargle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-06-07 13:28:05 -0400, Larry Bud said:

[...]

The sore eyes and skin irritations are not from the chlorine but are
usually due to the pH/alkalinity being out of balance.

And the pools with "salt" systems still have chlorine.....it's
generated from the salt (NaCl)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-06-07 13:28:05 -0400, Larry Bud said:

[...]

generated from the salt (NaCl)- Hide quoted text -

And the pools with "salt" systems still have chlorine.....it's
generated from the salt (NaCl)-

What happens to the Na?

TMT

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 5, 3:19 pm, Larry Bud wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:56 am, Hippie Chick wrote:

The traditional way to clean our pools is with chlorine. It cleans the
water, keeps it clear and helps keep algae away. There are many of us
though that get sore blood shot eyes, and skin irritations from
swimming in the chlorinated swimming pools. Our children ingest the
water by accident while swimming or just for fun when they are playing
water games. Chlorine is toxic. These things aside, the cost is also
very high. There are benefits to switching over from chlorinated pools
to salt water.

Except that salt water doesn't kill bacteria and other nasties, which
is the whole purpose of chlorine.

Wait, isn't that why they call it "The Dead Sea"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 21:33:41 -0700, Pat wrote:
On Jun 5, 3:19 pm, Larry Bud wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:56 am, Hippie Chick wrote:

The traditional way to clean our pools is with chlorine. It cleans the
water, keeps it clear and helps keep algae away. There are many of us
though that get sore blood shot eyes, and skin irritations from
swimming in the chlorinated swimming pools. Our children ingest the
water by accident while swimming or just for fun when they are playing
water games. Chlorine is toxic. These things aside, the cost is also
very high. There are benefits to switching over from chlorinated pools
to salt water.

Except that salt water doesn't kill bacteria and other nasties, which
is the whole purpose of chlorine.

Wait, isn't that why they call it "The Dead Sea"?

Noone would want to swim in a pool with THAT much salt in the water.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net