Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete mixer, how to get a good mix?

Used a couple of 5cf small concrete mixers and it doesn't matter if its dry
or wet material as chunks of it tend to clump together into balls and just
roll around and around without breaking up regardless how long the mixer
stays on. I usually turn the mixer off and breakup the balls manually.
Anyone has a better method of getting a better mix?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:16:03 -0700, "** Frank **"
wrote:

Used a couple of 5cf small concrete mixers and it doesn't matter if its dry
or wet material as chunks of it tend to clump together into balls and just
roll around and around without breaking up regardless how long the mixer
stays on. I usually turn the mixer off and breakup the balls manually.
Anyone has a better method of getting a better mix?

Can I suggest a little more water? Not to much, but just enough

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Used a couple of 5cf small concrete mixers and it doesn't matter if its
dry
or wet material as chunks of it tend to clump together into balls and just
roll around and around without breaking up regardless how long the mixer
stays on. I usually turn the mixer off and breakup the balls manually.
Anyone has a better method of getting a better mix?

I prefer to start with the suggested amount of water, then add the mix until
it gets "right". You have to have enough cement, though, in case you put
too much water in to start. Just read the directions, and start with that
amount of water.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:49:37 -0700, "Steve B"

Used a couple of 5cf small concrete mixers and it doesn't matter if its
dry
or wet material as chunks of it tend to clump together into balls and just
roll around and around without breaking up regardless how long the mixer
stays on. I usually turn the mixer off and breakup the balls manually.
Anyone has a better method of getting a better mix?

I prefer to start with the suggested amount of water, then add the mix until
it gets "right". You have to have enough cement, though, in case you put
too much water in to start. Just read the directions, and start with that
amount of water.

Steve

As a young boy; using a wheel barrow and shovel. Dried material first,
then water and yes have extra/plenty of cement.

Grand Dad was building a grease trap/cement to bury in the ground. I
got to work the shovel

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Used a couple of 5cf small concrete mixers and it doesn't matter if its dry
or wet material as chunks of it tend to clump together into balls and just
roll around and around without breaking up regardless how long the mixer
stays on. I usually turn the mixer off and breakup the balls manually.
Anyone has a better method of getting a better mix?

If you're using premix I sympathize.

If you're mixing your own-
Gravel first- then the cement. . . then I add the water. . .when it's
wet I add the sand. After the first couple batches I rarely need
to adjust wetness-- but I keep my sand and gravel piles covered so
they're dry.

[I use a 1-2-3 mix for most everything- or, I suppose, most often in
my mixer, speaking in gallons, and in the correct order; 6-2-4]

Jim

Belle Mini Mix 150 Concrete Mixer Capacity Lawrence Zarb UK diy 9 July 17th 17 07:35 PM
Who makes a good concrete mixer? ** Frank ** Home Repair 3 May 14th 07 02:17 AM
Concrete mix help Ook Home Repair 15 September 1st 06 05:13 PM
OT - High-mix and low-mix concrete Jim Stewart Metalworking 5 May 18th 06 12:43 PM
Newbie!!! concrete mix Peter Dawson UK diy 4 April 19th 05 01:25 PM