Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blocking for a vent

The vents holes under my sister's house are one cinder block square.

The cheap vent covers were nailed in place by just driving nails into
the mortar joints. Her dogs push them out to get under her house.

My solution will be to just take some one inch thick wood and cut the
pieces the same size as the cinder block and wedge them around the
opening and screw the vents to the wood.

Any better solutions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 3, 6:51 pm, Terry wrote:
The vents holes under my sister's house are one cinder block square.

The cheap vent covers were nailed in place by just driving nails into
the mortar joints. Her dogs push them out to get under her house.

My solution will be to just take some one inch thick wood and cut the
pieces the same size as the cinder block and wedge them around the
opening and screw the vents to the wood.

Any better solutions?

Fasten them permanently to the block w/ anchors or powder-actuated
studs. If they need to be removable for any reason, use threaded
studs or the anchors...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 8:35 pm, dpb wrote:
On Jun 3, 6:51 pm, Terry wrote:

The vents holes under my sister's house are one cinder block square.

The cheap vent covers were nailed in place by just driving nails into
the mortar joints. Her dogs push them out to get under her house.

My solution will be to just take some one inch thick wood and cut the
pieces the same size as the cinder block and wedge them around the
opening and screw the vents to the wood.

Any better solutions?

Fasten them permanently to the block w/ anchors or powder-actuated
studs. If they need to be removable for any reason, use threaded
studs or the anchors...

The vent covers are only slightly larger than the opening. Anchors
might work without breaking the block. I don't think using a Hilti
gun on the edge of a cinder block would turn out too good.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
The vents holes under my sister's house are one cinder block square.

The cheap vent covers were nailed in place by just driving nails into
the mortar joints. Her dogs push them out to get under her house.

My solution will be to just take some one inch thick wood and cut the
pieces the same size as the cinder block and wedge them around the
opening and screw the vents to the wood.

Any better solutions?

There are vent covers that have little spring loaded hooks on the back that
hold tightly to brick holes or grates. You might check hardware stores for
those. No tools needed, but they might have to be adapted to cinder block
vents, as they work best with 1 inch mesh grating vents.
Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:51:18 -0400, Terry
wrote:

The vents holes under my sister's house are one cinder block square.

The cheap vent covers were nailed in place by just driving nails into
the mortar joints. Her dogs push them out to get under her house.

My solution will be to just take some one inch thick wood and cut the
pieces the same size as the cinder block and wedge them around the
opening and screw the vents to the wood.

Any better solutions?

I've been amazed at the strength of today's construction adhesives.

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

blocking off an airbrick ben doon UK diy 3 March 2nd 06 08:28 AM
Gas fireplace draft +blocking vent? [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 8th 06 02:09 PM
Fire blocking and drywall Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 10 February 3rd 05 08:58 PM
Blocking trolls Guess who Woodworking 0 January 14th 05 08:40 PM
Blocking off a disused fireplace. Jerry Built UK diy 2 August 19th 04 05:21 PM