Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tractor Bogs when cutting grass

I have an 8 year old Craftsman tractor with 46" deck and 20hp Kohler
engine.

Last summer it started bogging on and off when the cutter was
engaged. This year it can't seem to keep the rpm up at all. I'm not
talking about excessively long or wet grass. It used to cut this
grass just fine.

The engine runs fine when either the cutter is not engaged or it is
engaged and not cutting through any significant amount of grass.

The deck of the mower spins free and smooth (bearing and pullies are
fine) and the blades are sharp.

I've recently replaced the plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, and a
new fuel filter is on the way.

I'm considering getting a carb rebuild kit but not sure if this will
help condisering the engine runs fine when not cutting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deja,

How tall is the grass? How often do you mow? In tall grass how fast do
you mow? There's nothing in your post that suggests a carb or a mower
problem.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

deja wrote:

I have an 8 year old Craftsman tractor with 46" deck and 20hp Kohler
engine.

Last summer it started bogging on and off when the cutter was engaged.
This year it can't seem to keep the rpm up at all. I'm not talking
about excessively long or wet grass. It used to cut this grass just
fine.

Check the compression.

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

In all ACTUALITY, it sounds like the carb is lean. Try adjusting the main
jet a quarter turn to the rich. (counterclockwise). If it's got a
convention ignition (points, condenser, coil) you may need a points
adjustment.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an 8 year old Craftsman tractor with 46" deck and 20hp Kohler
engine.

Last summer it started bogging on and off when the cutter was
engaged. This year it can't seem to keep the rpm up at all. I'm not
talking about excessively long or wet grass. It used to cut this
grass just fine.

The engine runs fine when either the cutter is not engaged or it is
engaged and not cutting through any significant amount of grass.

The deck of the mower spins free and smooth (bearing and pullies are
fine) and the blades are sharp.

I've recently replaced the plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, and a
new fuel filter is on the way.

I'm considering getting a carb rebuild kit but not sure if this will
help condisering the engine runs fine when not cutting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies guys. I got a leakdown tester. As I pulled
the plug to test the second head I saw what the problem was. That
plug still looked brand new. I pulled the cover off the engine and
there was a dead mouse and a chewed wire. I was running on 1
cylinder. I just ordered a new ignition moduled and I assume all will
be well once again :-)

Thanks again.