Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replace sump pump switch?

I have a sump pump with a few years of moderate use on it. I replaced
it recently because the float switch had become unreliable. Now that
it's the "spare" sump pump, I am wondering if I can get a replacement
switch for it. It's a submersible sump pump and the float switch is
the kind with a cylindrical float at the end of a foot or so of wire
and it just bobs up and down. Just wondering if it's possible to
replace just that part. It appears that where the wire enters the
pump housing there is a nut that holds it on somehow; haven't tried to
remove that. Testing it in a bucket outside, as near as I can tell
the pump works fine but the float switch sometimes doesn't turn it on
even though i'ts in the upright position.