Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default staple removing

Anyone know the best tool to remove staples from hard wood flooring?

Some of them are really embedded deep and I would like to remove while
damaging the floor as less as possible.

So far a screw driver and pliers is what I am using but it would be nice if
there was a better solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 29, 10:59 am, "Bob" wrote:
Anyone know the best tool to remove staples from hard wood flooring?

Some of them are really embedded deep and I would like to remove while
damaging the floor as less as possible.

So far a screw driver and pliers is what I am using but it would be nice if
there was a better solution.

Are they in the tongue or did somebody drive them through the face?

I'm wondering if you would really _have_ to remove them or simply
break off the points to reuse the material...

I've found no _good_ solution but better luck depending on the actual
staple used may be a tack puller or similar instead of the screwdriver
(thinner, harder blade) and a pair of side cutters or small end
cutters instead of regular pliers...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Anyone know the best tool to remove staples from hard wood flooring?

Some of them are really embedded deep and I would like to remove while
damaging the floor as less as possible.

So far a screw driver and pliers is what I am using but it would be nice if
there was a better solution.

I have a pair of Knipex slip joint pliers that are my favorite for
pulling staples.
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000655.php
I don't lever the staple out, I just grab the crown squarely and yank
straight up. Works. Your back might not like it if you have tons of
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Anyone know the best tool to remove staples from hard wood flooring?

Some of them are really embedded deep and I would like to remove while
damaging the floor as less as possible.

So far a screw driver and pliers is what I am using but it would be nice if
there was a better solution.

Do you mean staples as in staples that used to hold down carpet padding?
For removing such I've used a pair of cheap Chinese slip-joint pliers on
which I flattened the face by putting it in the vise and filing the nose
straight across to remove the subtle round-over that the manufacturer
designed it. Before doing this it was easy to remove 90% of the staples
and after it probably gets up to 99%. But there will always be those
that are snapped off flush to the wood's surface or below and there will
aways be some damage done getting those out.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 11:59 am, "Bob" wrote:
Anyone know the best tool to remove staples from hard wood flooring?

Some of them are really embedded deep and I would like to remove while
damaging the floor as less as possible.

So far a screw driver and pliers is what I am using but it would be nice if
there was a better solution.

Hello Bob - I had this same problem. Don't use a flat screwdriver
head, it's too think. I found the best tool to use was a small pry
bar. I attached a link to the one I used from sears below. What you
do is gently tap the corner of the "flat" end of the pry bar into the
center of the staple. For leverage and so you don't damge the wood
floor when pressing down, put a small piece of wood (could even be a
small piece of molding trim) behind the bar and press down. Gently
press down when you feel you caught it and , bingo, it's out. If the
screw is too embedded, use a small hammer to tap the "corner" of the
flat end of the pry bay under the screw. Regards and hoped this
helped. By the way, this Pry Bar is now my favorite tool, I use it
for everything.....

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 May 2007 15:18:11 -0700, Pinball4Fun
wrote:

By the way, this Pry Bar is now my favorite tool, I use it
for everything.....

I have two favorite pry bars. Yours seems a bit husky for just getting
a staple out.

If I can get the wood up/out, I pull the staples from the back side in
the salvage (if I can get a grip).
--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

By the way, this Pry Bar is now my favorite tool, I use it
for everything.....

I have two favorite pry bars. Yours seems a bit husky for just getting
a staple out.

Agree -- what I suggest to get the start is shown at

http://www.perfectproductsonline.com/combotool.html

These are upholsterer's tools, not real commonly seen elsewhere.
Sturdy, but very sharp point will get under most anything that has any
gap at all...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone know the best tool to remove staples from hard wood flooring?

Some of them are really embedded deep and I would like to remove while
damaging the floor as less as possible.

So far a screw driver and pliers is what I am using but it would be nice
if there was a better solution.

There really isn't an easy way. I use a combination of an industrial
stapler puller and pliers.

Here is a link to a picture of the one I use, #124:

http://www.sunshinefoam.com/pages/27.html

With a thin shim or wood block, used the position pictured it will pull both
legs out of the floor in most cases. The small slots will allow you to pull
a broken led out using a twisting motion. For all others use the pliers.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 8:25 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

. ..

Anyone know the best tool to remove staples from hard wood flooring?

Some of them are really embedded deep and I would like to remove while
damaging the floor as less as possible.

So far a screw driver and pliers is what I am using but it would be nice
if there was a better solution.

There really isn't an easy way. I use a combination of an industrial
stapler puller and pliers.

Here is a link to a picture of the one I use, #124:

http://www.sunshinefoam.com/pages/27.html

With a thin shim or wood block, used the position pictured it will pull both
legs out of the floor in most cases. The small slots will allow you to pull
a broken led out using a twisting motion. For all others use the pliers.

Colbyt

I like using end nippers. Takes a few tries to get the feel for
grabbing the staples without cutting them, but you should be able to
keep from damaging the floor by using them. They give you lots of
prying leverage without prying against the floor with anything pointy.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 11:59 am, "Bob" wrote:
Anyone know the best tool to remove staples from hard wood flooring?

Some of them are really embedded deep and I would like to remove while
damaging the floor as less as possible.

So far a screw driver and pliers is what I am using but it would be nice if
there was a better solution.

End nippers or diagonal cutters, and you grind the bevel off the
cutting face so you can grab a staple thats even sunk into the floor a
touch. Also known as "flush cutters".

Dave

Problem with staple gun Mike S. Home Repair 13 November 3rd 14 08:35 PM
Staple gun SirBenjamin UK diy 0 December 11th 06 03:00 PM
staple gun advice Pat Woodworking 7 April 5th 05 07:56 PM
Nail / Staple Gun Sam Berlyn Woodworking 7 December 5th 04 07:07 PM
Bostitch staple question WilliaJ2 Woodworking 3 October 19th 04 01:15 AM