Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing light with outlet

I'm replacing my bathroom light fixture from one with an outlet to one
with no outlet. There are four wires coming out of the wall to the
light. Two sets of black and white. The white ones are connected to
each other and nothing else. One black wire is connected to two white
wires (one to the outlet and one to the light. The other black wire is
connected to two black wires (one to the light and one to the outlet).
How do I wire a new light that only requires one white and one black?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What do I do with the wires going to the outlet on the old light?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You've got me confused. You have four wires coming out of the wall. Two
whites spliced together and not connected to anything. Two blacks, one which
connects to the white wires of both existing outlet and existing light. The
other black connects to the black wires of the existing outlet and the
existing light. When you get the new fixture, you won't have a black and
white from an outlet that you no longer have.

wrote in message
ups.com...
What do I do with the wires going to the outlet on the old light?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Basically, I only know what to do with 2 of the 4 wires coming out of
the wall. What do I do with the other 2? Or can I connect the 2 white
ones to each other and the 2 black ones to each other?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You leave them the way they were. The two whites were spliced together and
not connected to anything. Leave them alone. Push them back into the box.
You only need to connect the two black wires to the new light. One to the
white wire of the new light and one to the black wire of the new light. The
problem is that they are not marked as to which is neutral and which is hot.
That's why I said to connect them the same way as they were before.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Basically, I only know what to do with 2 of the 4 wires coming out of
the wall. What do I do with the other 2? Or can I connect the 2 white
ones to each other and the 2 black ones to each other?

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, I get it. Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Please, turn off power before you do this.

wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, I get it. Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks RBM, the new light is up and running!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Congrats, you're hired!!!