Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting Garden Hose Rack to Stone?

I'm getting conflicting information mounting a metal garden hose rack to
stone.
My buddy told me to go to HD and buy lead shields, screws that fit the
shields and a
masonry drill bit to drill a hole in the stone that the lead shields fit it.
I go to Lowes but they don't have 1/4" lead shields so they sell me 1/4"
masonry screws that don't use lead shields. Will the masonry screws work
or do I need to get the 1/4" lead shields?

Mike;

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:

I'm getting conflicting information mounting a metal garden hose rack to
stone.
My buddy told me to go to HD and buy lead shields, screws that fit the
shields and a
masonry drill bit to drill a hole in the stone that the lead shields fit it.
I go to Lowes but they don't have 1/4" lead shields so they sell me 1/4"
masonry screws that don't use lead shields. Will the masonry screws work
or do I need to get the 1/4" lead shields?

Mike;

Masonry screws like Tap-con will not work in natural stone. Fastening
into natural stone is very different than fastening into concrete and
different types of stone are different as well. Go to HD, rent a Hilti
hammer drill and a suitable percussion bit (a hammer drill will toast an
ordinary masonry bit in short order), and some suitable anchors. The
various Hilti anchors are by far the best, but a bit overkill for a hose
reel, though for the three of four fasteners needed cost shouldn't be an
issue. Trust me on this, if you try to drill natural stone of any
hardness with a regular masonry bit and ordinary rotary drill, your arm
is likely to fall off and the sun set before you complete the first
hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 9:19 am, "Mike" wrote:
I'm getting conflicting information mounting a metal garden hose rack to
stone.
My buddy told me to go to HD and buy lead shields, screws that fit the
shields and a
masonry drill bit to drill a hole in the stone that the lead shields fit it.
I go to Lowes but they don't have 1/4" lead shields so they sell me 1/4"
masonry screws that don't use lead shields. Will the masonry screws work
or do I need to get the 1/4" lead shields?

Mike;

There are a variety of anchors made for masonry that will work. You
don't have to use the lead shield ones. To hold a hose rack, I'd get
the shortest ones you can find. However, I think if what you're doing
is drilling holes in the exterior stone of your house to mount a
garden hose rack, you're nuts. If it's new construction, most of
that stone is just a thin veneer, and frequently it isn't even stone,
in which case, you'll go right through the stone. If you insist on
doing it, make sure you use caulk to keep the water out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 26, 9:19 am, "Mike" wrote:
[...]

It's a seventy year old house and the stone is real after reading your
post and Pete C's post I believe I'll attach the hose reel to the side of
the concrete steps and not attempt the stone mount.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Mike wrote:

[...]

Look like the crap I bought from Lowe's is going back and I'll mount the
hose reel to the side of the concrete steps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
Mike wrote:

[...]

It only needs two 1/4" screws. When mount to the side of the concrete steps
should I seal everything w/ silicone or something when I done?

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

A lot will depend on whether it is stone veneer or solid stone construction
and the type of stone used. Granite and other hard stones will be very
difficult to drill while limestone or sandstone will be very easy. Cannot
tell from here.

"Mike" wrote in message news:3mX5i.230$4S5.32@trndny01...
I'm getting conflicting information mounting a metal garden hose rack
to stone.
My buddy told me to go to HD and buy lead shields, screws that fit the
shields and a
masonry drill bit to drill a hole in the stone that the lead shields fit
it. I go to Lowes but they don't have 1/4" lead shields so they sell me
1/4" masonry screws that don't use lead shields. Will the masonry screws
work or do I need to get the 1/4" lead shields?

Mike;

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 26 May 2007 14:19:43 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

I'm getting conflicting information mounting a metal garden hose rack to
stone.
My buddy told me to go to HD and buy lead shields, screws that fit the
shields and a
masonry drill bit to drill a hole in the stone that the lead shields fit it.
I go to Lowes but they don't have 1/4" lead shields so they sell me 1/4"
masonry screws that don't use lead shields. Will the masonry screws work
or do I need to get the 1/4" lead shields?

I think you wanted anchors, not shields. What would be shielding what
from what?

One of the first things I did was hang a garden hose rack from my
wall. One with a crank, no less. I'd always wanted that. But I have
brick and only had to drill holes in the mortar, which can be refilled
by me or the next owner. I wouldn't have drilled holes in the brick
for a garden hose, and I wouldn't do it in your case either. There
are lots of alternatives.

Mike;

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Mike wrote:

[...]

There shouldn't be any need to use silicone anywhere and it will leave a
mess to clean off if you decide to move the hose reel at a later point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
A lot will depend on whether it is stone veneer or solid stone construction
and the type of stone used. Granite and other hard stones will be very
difficult to drill while limestone or sandstone will be very easy. Cannot
tell from here.

It is solid stone in the foundation of a seventy year old house. After
reading the relpies I decided to go back yo Lowes and examine a free
standing hose reel, which seems to be the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Good point, I'm going to check out the free standing hose reel rack which I
should have done in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message news:6J16i.667$UD2.258@trnddc05...

Good point, I'm going to check out the free standing hose reel rack which
I should have done in the first place.

Check these out
http://www.rapidreel.com/products/garden_hose_family

I finally got tired of the crappy plastic reels and bought a serious heavy
duty one. Glad I did. Not cheap, but wow, what a great reel. Wish I had
done it years ago. They are available at discounts on the web if you do a
Google search.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The other problem with mounting things to stone walls is that the face
of most stone walls is irregular, and all of the anchor points of
whatever you are mounting must be right up against the stone or the
anchors will just pull out as the screws are tightened. We run into that
mounting the electrical disconnect boxes for a/c units. I keep a
variety of nuts, washers etc, to use as spacers, as well longer screws
to use with stone. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Mike" wrote in message

Check these out
http://www.rapidreel.com/products/garden_hose_family

I finally got tired of the crappy plastic reels and bought a serious heavy
duty one. Glad I did. Not cheap, but wow, what a great reel. Wish I had
done it years ago. They are available at discounts on the web if you do a
Google search.

It's very nice but it's overkill for what I need

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lp13-30" wrote in message
The other problem with mounting things to stone walls is that the face
of most stone walls is irregular, and all of the anchor points of
whatever you are mounting must be right up against the stone or the
anchors will just pull out as the screws are tightened. We run into that
mounting the electrical disconnect boxes for a/c units. I keep a
variety of nuts, washers etc, to use as spacers, as well longer screws
to use with stone. Larry

After reading the post I'm going w/ a free standing hose reel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 3mX5i.230$4S5.32@trndny01, "Mike" wrote:
My buddy told me to go to HD and buy lead shields, screws that fit the
shields and a
masonry drill bit to drill a hole in the stone that the lead shields fit it.
I go to Lowes but they don't have 1/4" lead shields so they sell me 1/4"
masonry screws that don't use lead shields. Will the masonry screws work
or do I need to get the 1/4" lead shields?

Your buddy said to go to HD. Why did you go to Lowes instead?

--
--Tim Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message

Check these out
http://www.rapidreel.com/products/garden_hose_family

It's very nice but it's overkill for what I need

I'd have said that a few years ago too, but I've since learned different.
Avoid the $25 models by Mainstays at WalMart and such. . I bought one last
year and tossed it in the trash this year. More frustration than it was
worth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:

I'm getting conflicting information mounting a metal garden hose rack to
stone.
My buddy told me to go to HD and buy lead shields, screws that fit the
shields and a
masonry drill bit to drill a hole in the stone that the lead shields fit it.
I go to Lowes but they don't have 1/4" lead shields so they sell me 1/4"
masonry screws that don't use lead shields. Will the masonry screws work
or do I need to get the 1/4" lead shields?

Mike;

Why not make a concrete pad with an anchor built in? When the reel
falls apart, our you want a different location, it could be removed
without scarring the house. There are reels built into plastic boxes
that look a little nicer, or you could build something to hold it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lp13-30 wrote:

The other problem with mounting things to stone walls is that the face
of most stone walls is irregular, and all of the anchor points of
whatever you are mounting must be right up against the stone or the
anchors will just pull out as the screws are tightened. We run into that
mounting the electrical disconnect boxes for a/c units. I keep a
variety of nuts, washers etc, to use as spacers, as well longer screws
to use with stone. Larry

A thick rubber washer will do a good job of adjusting to that
irregularity.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
A lot will depend on whether it is stone veneer or solid stone construction
and the type of stone used. Granite and other hard stones will be very
difficult to drill while limestone or sandstone will be very easy. Cannot
tell from here.

It is solid stone in the foundation of a seventy year old house. After
reading the relpies I decided to go back yo Lowes and examine a free
standing hose reel, which seems to be the way to go.

I saw a pretty nice looking free standing hose reel cart at Sam's
yesterday. Looked to be beefy enough to no get dragged around when
you're pulling hose off it. Seemed to be all metal construction and have
the capacity for quite a bit of hose. I might get one to replace the two
plastic hose reel carts I currently use for a few hundred feet of hose.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Mike wrote:

Why not make a concrete pad with an anchor built in? When the reel falls
apart, our you want a different location, it could be removed without
scarring the house. There are reels built into plastic boxes that look a
little nicer, or you could build something to hold it.

I saw one that is a reel mounted on a staked that punded into the ground
which I'm going to check out today

Cleaning a Garden Hose W. Watson Home Repair 14 November 9th 16 07:14 PM
garden hose leakage SeaKan Home Repair 9 April 16th 06 07:32 PM
Air Hose as Garden Hose?? Derek Metalworking 11 March 23rd 05 09:25 AM
Garden Hose Repair aris UK diy 10 November 8th 04 03:49 PM