Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WHat makes burial cable "buriable"

I need to bury some cable for a remote vehicle sensor. I have a length of
Belden 8451 2 conductor, shielded, PVC outside jacket. It doesn't seem to be
"burial rated". WHat is it about cable that makes it NOT direct buriable?
Even if its not rated for direct burial, will it work? The sensor is a VR
type sensor. no power involved. Phone line would work. I plan on putting it
in PVC pipe, does it make any difference? How do I make a splice to the
existing cable such that both conductors and the shield are waterresistant.

Of course the alternative is to just break down and buy 200ft of burial
cable...but thats no fun....

http://bwccat.belden.com/ecat/pdf/8451.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 25, 4:38 pm, "jmagerl" wrote:
I need to bury some cable for a remote vehicle sensor. I have a length of
Belden 8451 2 conductor, shielded, PVC outside jacket. It doesn't seem to be
"burial rated". WHat is it about cable that makes it NOT direct buriable?
Even if its not rated for direct burial, will it work? The sensor is a VR
type sensor. no power involved. Phone line would work. I plan on putting it
in PVC pipe, does it make any difference? How do I make a splice to the
existing cable such that both conductors and the shield are waterresistant.

Jacket -- typically thicker and may have differing formulation(s) for
better protection underground. The difference in function initially
will not be any different, the longevity may. If you're willing to
take a chance it may fail in a few years, that's the risk. If, of
course, it's in conduit and pullable, that's less of an issue than
directly buried.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:38:12 -0500, jmagerl wrote:

I need to bury some cable for a remote vehicle sensor. I have a length of
Belden 8451 2 conductor, shielded, PVC outside jacket. It doesn't seem to be
"burial rated". WHat is it about cable that makes it NOT direct buriable?

Of course, direct buriable rated cable is cable that can be but in the
ground without any additional protection such as conduit. It has a moisture
block layer and doesn't contain anything chemical that will contaminate the
soil.

Even if its not rated for direct burial, will it work? The sensor is a VR
type sensor. no power involved. Phone line would work. I plan on putting it
in PVC pipe, does it make any difference?

If you are putting it inside a pipe it should be ok.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Reminds me of a funny story.

A friend bought a new house. Had to wait for phone service to come.
Eventually they came and put in a temporary cable sitting on the ground.
Installer told my friend that another crew would come to bury a permanent
cable.

3 month go by. After calling a few times and told they would be there soon,
my buddy got tired of mowing around the cable and just burried it himself.

Fast forward 6 years. My buddy comes home from work and these guys are
tearing up his lawn putting in a cable. He asks them what they hell they
are doing. Seems that they just came across this 6 year old work order.....

"jmagerl" wrote in message
t...
I need to bury some cable for a remote vehicle sensor. I have a length of
Belden 8451 2 conductor, shielded, PVC outside jacket. It doesn't seem to
be "burial rated". WHat is it about cable that makes it NOT direct
buriable? Even if its not rated for direct burial, will it work? The sensor
is a VR type sensor. no power involved. Phone line would work. I plan on
putting it in PVC pipe, does it make any difference? How do I make a splice
to the existing cable such that both conductors and the shield are
waterresistant.

Of course the alternative is to just break down and buy 200ft of burial
cable...but thats no fun....

http://bwccat.belden.com/ecat/pdf/8451.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
jmagerl wrote:
I need to bury some cable for a remote vehicle sensor. I have a
length of Belden 8451 2 conductor, shielded, PVC outside jacket. It
doesn't seem to be "burial rated". WHat is it about cable that makes
it NOT direct buriable?

Mole resistance.

Nonono. Mole conductance.

Nick