Posted to alt.home.repair
Karl S Karl S is offline

Default WHat makes burial cable "buriable"

On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:38:12 -0500, jmagerl wrote:

I need to bury some cable for a remote vehicle sensor. I have a length of
Belden 8451 2 conductor, shielded, PVC outside jacket. It doesn't seem to be
"burial rated". WHat is it about cable that makes it NOT direct buriable?

Of course, direct buriable rated cable is cable that can be but in the
ground without any additional protection such as conduit. It has a moisture
block layer and doesn't contain anything chemical that will contaminate the
soil.

Even if its not rated for direct burial, will it work? The sensor is a VR
type sensor. no power involved. Phone line would work. I plan on putting it
in PVC pipe, does it make any difference?

If you are putting it inside a pipe it should be ok.