Posted to alt.home.repair

Default alternative to parge walls

I have a house with a walkout basement and this year we ended up removing a
lot more dirt and exposing the whole rear of the house. This means that only
part of the original basement wall was parged. I'd like to finish the job
properly but was wondering if there were alternatives to towelling? I'd
really prefer if there was a way to add colour at the same time. IS it
possible to use a modified concrete and polymer to spray on with a hopper
gun? How is outside stucco applied?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , HotRdd says...

I have a house with a walkout basement and this year we ended up removing a
lot more dirt and exposing the whole rear of the house. This means that only
part of the original basement wall was parged. I'd like to finish the job
properly but was wondering if there were alternatives to towelling? I'd
really prefer if there was a way to add colour at the same time. IS it
possible to use a modified concrete and polymer to spray on with a hopper
gun? How is outside stucco applied?

Are you in a cold climate area? Because...

... a lot of the reason dirt is piled up against houses on the walkout side of a
walkout basement is because the foundation footers are absent or insufficiently
deep. It's cheeep frost-protection.

Might not apply to you, of course (even if the climate is cold), just something
to consider if it might.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you ever seen anyone use polymer modified cement that is sprayed on
with a hopper gun?

wrote in message
On Thu, 24 May 2007 13:25:29 -0400, "HotRdd"
wrote:

I have a house with a walkout basement and this year we ended up removing
lot more dirt and exposing the whole rear of the house. This means that
only
part of the original basement wall was parged. I'd like to finish the job
properly but was wondering if there were alternatives to towelling? I'd
really prefer if there was a way to add colour at the same time. IS it
possible to use a modified concrete and polymer to spray on with a hopper
gun? How is outside stucco applied?

Parging and strucco are basically the same thing. They just lay stucco
up in 2 or 3 coats. The top coat can be a different mix with color in
it, Stucco mix may also have some other acrylic bonding agent but it
is basically type S mortar. I have seen old timers "parge" using
nothing but portland and sand.

Alternative to TLC Stuart B UK diy 3 April 3rd 07 06:59 PM
Can I Parge with Sand Mix?? dave Home Repair 2 March 30th 07 11:21 PM
Radiators: Interior Walls or Exterior Walls? [email protected] UK diy 6 August 15th 06 07:23 AM
Pallet Wood Recycling (was; Alternative Furnishing Ideas 2 [Was; ' alternative furnishing ideas?']) Warm Worm Woodworking 5 May 23rd 06 04:02 AM
Cement alternative? [email protected] UK diy 8 July 30th 05 10:32 AM