Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint over clear finish?

On May 23, 2:28 pm, "
wrote:
I am looking to paint some cabinet doors. They currently have a clear
finish on them (Varnish/poly?) Should I strip or simply paint over the
finish?

You can paint over it, but you should scuff-sand the existing finish
to give the primer something to bite onto. Benjamin Moore makes Fresh
Start primer that supposedly can be used directly onto semi-gloss
finishes and Formica. I'd still sand - belt and suspenders.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 23, 2:28 pm, "
wrote:
I am looking to paint some cabinet doors. They currently have a clear
finish on them (Varnish/poly?) Should I strip or simply paint over the
finish?

You can paint over it, but you should scuff-sand the existing finish
to give the primer something to bite onto. Benjamin Moore makes Fresh
Start primer that supposedly can be used directly onto semi-gloss
finishes and Formica. I'd still sand - belt and suspenders.

I agree ... coarse steel wool might be easier than sandpaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles" wrote
You can paint over it, but you should scuff-sand the existing finish
to give the primer something to bite onto. Benjamin Moore makes Fresh
Start primer that supposedly can be used directly onto semi-gloss
finishes and Formica. I'd still sand - belt and suspenders.

I agree ... coarse steel wool might be easier than sandpaper.

Even a scotch brite will do the trick
BUT
You should be sure to get the doors nice and clean. Use TSP to wash them,
scuff them then use a good wax and grease remover and a tack cloth before
painting first with a good primer then the paint. It's a pain in the neck
but in the end your paint won't peel when you wash them.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote
You can paint over it, but you should scuff-sand the existing finish
to give the primer something to bite onto. Benjamin Moore makes Fresh
Start primer that supposedly can be used directly onto semi-gloss
finishes and Formica. I'd still sand - belt and suspenders.

I agree ... coarse steel wool might be easier than sandpaper.

Even a scotch brite will do the trick
BUT
You should be sure to get the doors nice and clean. Use TSP to wash them,
scuff them then use a good wax and grease remover and a tack cloth before
painting first with a good primer then the paint. It's a pain in the neck
but in the end your paint won't peel when you wash them.

Kate

Kate, I gotta ask- why is there a Jeep in your sig file?

aem sends....