Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate Kate is offline

Default Paint over clear finish?

"Charles" wrote
You can paint over it, but you should scuff-sand the existing finish
to give the primer something to bite onto. Benjamin Moore makes Fresh
Start primer that supposedly can be used directly onto semi-gloss
finishes and Formica. I'd still sand - belt and suspenders.

I agree ... coarse steel wool might be easier than sandpaper.

Even a scotch brite will do the trick
BUT
You should be sure to get the doors nice and clean. Use TSP to wash them,
scuff them then use a good wax and grease remover and a tack cloth before
painting first with a good primer then the paint. It's a pain in the neck
but in the end your paint won't peel when you wash them.

Kate