nosmo

Default Clear finish on polished brass..?????

I have to polish some door hardware, solid brass, and then apply
some sort of aerosol product ( lacquer, poly etc ) to stop tarnish .
Any suggestions as to the type of product would be welcome

david

R. O'Brian

"nosmo" wrote in message
I have to polish some door hardware, solid brass, and then apply
some sort of aerosol product ( lacquer, poly etc ) to stop tarnish .
Any suggestions as to the type of product would be welcome

david

For indoor use, ordinary wood worker's nitro-cellulose lacquer such as Deft
or clear polyurethane varnish(many brands) will do. However, for outdoor
use, you need something tougher like:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...=diamond+clear

Randy

Frank J Warner

In article , nosmo
wrote:

I have to polish some door hardware, solid brass, and then apply
some sort of aerosol product ( lacquer, poly etc ) to stop tarnish .
Any suggestions as to the type of product would be welcome

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...il.aspx?p=1143

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:
Mark

Agree with the other responders, with a couple of comments:
I used some Deft stuff that didn't smell like nitrocellulose
lacquer, didn't dry like it, didn't come off with lacquer
thinner and ruined a lot of hours of work. May have been
something else, but it spooked me and I use only Mohawk or
other things clearlmarked as to content.

Some of those of the clock persuasion are now using a poly
urethane clear finish, who am I to argue? Ditto for acrylic
lacquers. But I love nitro,
as it is very forgiving, fast drying and easy to strip if needed.

I sometimes use a hair dryer or heat gun to keep it from collecting
in concave grooves... / mark