Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Builder forgot a heating vent...

So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as
simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in
the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of
the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down
because everything is already painted. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as
simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in
the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of
the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down
because everything is already painted. Thanks.

How about publicizing the idiot's name, just in case his next victim happens
into the newsgroup?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 3:57 pm, wrote:
So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as
simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in
the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of
the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down
because everything is already painted. Thanks.

How long have you had the home? When was it built? Have you talked
to the builder?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 6:13 pm, Lawrence wrote:
On May 21, 3:57 pm, wrote:

So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as
simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in
the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of
the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down
because everything is already painted. Thanks.

How long have you had the home? When was it built? Have you talked
to the builder?

The builder is coming in next week. The home is just over a year old
and still under warranty. However, I don't even think that a missing
vent would be considered a warranty item. They just have to put one
in. I wanted to know in advance just how messy a job it might be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 5:28 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as
simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in
the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of
the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down
because everything is already painted. Thanks.

How about publicizing the idiot's name, just in case his next victim happens
into the newsgroup?

The builder will be coming in next week. Actually it's a company that
the builder subcontracts to do the HVAC for the homes. I will see if
they give me a hard time or try and come up with excuses when I tell
them about the vent. If they do, and they refuse to do it then I will
publish their names. BTW, I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if this group
is catered to Americans or Canadians.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 21, 5:28 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as
simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in
the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of
the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down
because everything is already painted. Thanks.

How about publicizing the idiot's name, just in case his next victim
happens
into the newsgroup?

The builder will be coming in next week. Actually it's a company that
the builder subcontracts to do the HVAC for the homes. I will see if
they give me a hard time or try and come up with excuses when I tell
them about the vent. If they do, and they refuse to do it then I will
publish their names. BTW, I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if this group
is catered to Americans or Canadians.

Excuses? hahaha! There *are* no excuses! Unless Canada has been moved to the
Caribbean, every room gets a heat vent. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
On May 21, 3:57 pm, wrote:

So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as
simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in
the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of
the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down
because everything is already painted. Thanks.

How long have you had the home? When was it built? Have you talked
to the builder?

The builder is coming in next week. The home is just over a year old
and still under warranty. However, I don't even think that a missing
vent would be considered a warranty item. They just have to put one
in. I wanted to know in advance just how messy a job it might be.

Is this a joke? Did you use this bedroom during the winter? Why didn't you
get this taken care of immediately? Did YOU not notice the problem right
away?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this a joke? Did you use this bedroom during the winter? Why didn't you
get this taken care of immediately? Did YOU not notice the problem right
away?- Hide quoted text -

This is what happened. There is a large bedroom window. There is a
heat
vent on one edge of the window which heats up one side of the room
nicely.
However, there should be another vent on the other edge of the
window. That
is how the model homes have it. And that is how my next door neighbor
who
has the same floor plan as me has it. This was my first winter and I
realized that even with the heat on I was cold because my bed lies on
the
other edge of the window where the heat vent is missing.

I made mention of this 30 days after I took possesion but the builder
told
me that it was probably only supposed to have one vent. I now know
that
that's a bunch of BS because every master bedroom should have 2
vents. Plus
the builder representative who did the 30 day inspection with me
didn't
really say concretely that he knew for sure if there was only supposed
to be
one vent.

And even if there was only supposed to be one vent then they should
have
centered it over the window instead of putting it on the edge.

Bottom line. My adjoining neighbor with the same floorplan has 2
vents.
The model homes with the same floorplan have 2 vents. All other units
I've
seen have 2 vents.

The HVAC guy who's coming next week better not give me a hard time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On May 21, 3:57 pm, wrote:

So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as
simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in
the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of
the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down
because everything is already painted. Thanks.

How long have you had the home? When was it built? Have you talked
to the builder?

The builder is coming in next week. The home is just over a year old
and still under warranty. However, I don't even think that a missing
vent would be considered a warranty item. They just have to put one

I see your point, but it really depends on how the warranty is
phrased, and maybe even statutes or prior court decisions about
specific phrases (In the US, but I think Canada and the US are the
same in that regard.)

No matter how reasonable it seems that they should have to put one in,
there could still be a time limit on such a request. After all,
there is a time limit on the filing of lawsuits and the prosecution of
most crimes, for different reasons I guess, but nonethelss.

in. I wanted to know in advance just how messy a job it might be.

There was an intersection of 2 1/2 or 3 expressways in Carolina or
somewhere where they left out one of the ramps. They built what ws
in the plans, but it wasn't in the design, and there was no way to get
from one xway going in one of the directions to another expressway in
one direction. People somehow figured out where they had to slow down
and turn onto the grass, then make their own "acceleration lane". But
a permanent ramp couldn't be built there because there wasn't enough
room. They built one somewhere, in about a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 3:57 pm, wrote:

[...]

I have to submit a for at the 30 day, 1 year, and 2 year dates for any
repairs and or other related stuff. So I'm pretty sure I can still
claim this as a problem on my 2 year date.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" writes:

Excuses? hahaha! There *are* no excuses! Unless Canada has been moved to the
Caribbean, every room gets a heat vent. :-)

Or at least every room that has an outside wall.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message

It sure does make you wonder about the effectiveness and integrity of the
county building inspectoion pocess before a certificate of occupancy is
issued,

Sorry, but that is not their job. If the house had heat, it passed
inspection. They are interested in safety, codes met, inspections done.
They don't care if the fixtures are ugly, just that water runs and the
toilet flushes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 2:26 pm, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

I've seen a number of similar things around here (Portland, OR).
Folks with zero cold air returns; folks with rooms without any heat / ac
outlets from he ducts.

You see a lot of weird things when the builders are throwing up the
houses as fast as they do here in Phoenix.

About 10 years ago, a friend bought a new house from a national
builder. There were several amusing mistakes that the construction
supervisors didn't catch.

Drywall crews came in and drywalled over the AC return duct for the
downstairs, kinda made for reduced airflow. When he called his builder
to complain about the AC not cooling too well, they came in and went,
"Duh, where's the return?"

They swapped the hot and cold water lines to the upstairs bathroom.
The taps being reversed on the sink didn't bother him too much, but he
didn't much care for the condensation buildup on his backside if he
spent too long on the throne.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On May 21, 3:57 pm, wrote:

[...]

I trust you that your within the warranty. I was only warning you
that no matter how reasonable it seems for there not to be a time
limit, there may well be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 3:57 pm, wrote:

[...]

limit, there may well be.- Hide quoted text -

I just hope they do the right thing and put in the vent. I still
don't consider this to be a warranty item. I consider warranty items
to be things that break within a given time period. In this case it
was a vent that was forgotten. It would be good company courtesy to
install the vent and offer and apology.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We can't see it from here. But if it's supply air, probably means
pull a bunch of wall apart.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
: So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it
as
: simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then
screwing in
: the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear
down of
: the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear
down
: because everything is already painted. Thanks.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Real simple-- look at a copy of the plans. If it shows the vent, they
owe it to you. If not, then it is open to discussion. The fact that the
model home, and the others similar to yours have it may or may not have
any bearing. As to what is involved in installing it, no one can see the
job from here, so no way that question can be answered. Good luck
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 3:57 pm, wrote:

[...]

In most jurisdictions it is breach of contract. Frequently a 6 or
more year
statute of limitations.

Warranty has little to do with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 4:57 pm, wrote:
So my builder forgot to put a heating vent in my bedroom. Is it as
simple as cutting a hole in the bulkhead and duct and then screwing in
the ventilation grate? Or is the job going to require the tear down of
the entire bulkhead? I'm hoping it won't be too much of a tear down
because everything is already painted. Thanks.

So the HVAC company came today to address 2 problems. First was the
missing heat vent and second was the howling noise coming from the air
return vent.

My suspicions were correct for the first problem. The HVAC company did
cut a hole in the duct for the vent but the drywallers dry walled over
it. Problem corrected. HVAC company cut out the hold and installed the
ventilation grate.

Second problem was corrected by cutting another hole for another air
return vent. Should've been two the supervisor said. I only had one
which was not sufficient enough for the size of the furnace.

Overall quite satisfied.