Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ants in outside GFCI box....plese don't hurt yourslf laughing....

I have a 12 ga, grounded line (black, white and green conductors) in 3/4
inch
metal conduit buried about 3 feet deep that goes out of the garage to a
point in
the back yard about 40 feet from the house, where it comes up, again in
conduit,
and goes into a metal all weather box with hinged, gasketed cover.
GFCI outlet
in box. Has worked fine for 30 years, since I moved in here in 1977.

Line originates at a 20 amp dedicated breaker at the main panel in the
garage,
runs as 12 ga romex to a point in the garage wall where it exits
into a box and then goes down through conduit into the ground, out to the
GFCI box.

Plug in the leaf blower yesterday and no juice. Figure I need to test
and reset
the GFCI. Buttons on the GFCI won't move. Neither the red "test" nor
black "reset"
button can be pressed in. Tiny tiny ants all around the GFCI and the box.
I think the box has become an nest/ colony.

The breaker at the main panel has not repeat not tripped.

Anybody ever run into this sort of thing?

I can spray the ants, kill the breaker and pull the GFCI and really
clean the box and
spray it and the top 8 - 10 inches of the conduit with Raid or some such.

But, Raid and insulation on the wire in the conduit? Any known effect?
(I really do not want to do the old stand by of pouring boiling water on
the ants around a 20 amp circuit thank you, even one on which I've
killed the breaker.)

Also, being cheap, I'd rather not have to replace the GFCI device, and
would like to remove it and blow it clean with high pressure air.
Any thoughts on other methods to clean the interior of the GFCI device?

Ain't home ownership fun? The work never ceases.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I run into this constantly. I've never tried to salvage the receptacle
though. From my experience, the ants come in from an open pipe . Minimum two
conduits are required for an outlet stubbed up out of the ground, one has
the wiring in it, which is sometimes just a short sleeve, and the other just
a support stub. The ants find the open pipe and walk right in. Generally I
shoot silicone into the pipes from the inside of the box to keep future ants
out

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
I run into this constantly. I've never tried to salvage the receptacle
though. From my experience, the ants come in from an open pipe . Minimum two
conduits are required for an outlet stubbed up out of the ground, one has
the wiring in it, which is sometimes just a short sleeve, and the other just
a support stub. The ants find the open pipe and walk right in. Generally I
shoot silicone into the pipes from the inside of the box to keep future ants
out

The box that the GFCI is in is attached to a 4"'x4" post. No second
conduit.
Des[pite my inherent cheapness, I'm thinking junk the GFCI device.
GFCIs are in out side outlets for a *reason* and its just slightly important
that they actually function when needed. I mean, after all its *just*
an electrocution hazard, potentially my life, etc. G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2007 12:44:38 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

[...]

Heavy rain recently? They seek shelter - high and dry..

Consider also sealing the face plate on the edges of the GFCI.

You are not serious this is the same GFCI device for thirty years?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

MUCH SNIPPED

Heavy rain recently? They seek shelter - high and dry..

Actually we've had a relativey dry spring for Willamette Valley /
western Oregon.

Consider also sealing the face plate on the edges of the GFCI.

Yeah, some good clear silicon may be a very good idea.

You are not serious this is the same GFCI device for thirty years?

Actually, its only 27 years. Since 1980. Seriously.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , jJim McLaughlin wrote:

Actually, its only 27 years. Since 1980. Seriously.

Replace it. Seriously.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2007 15:29:26 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Actually, its only 27 years. Since 1980. Seriously.

Would a lawyer call this an "attractive nuisance", seriously!

Test your out-door GFCI - frequently..
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Actually, its only 27 years. Since 1980. Seriously.

Would a lawyer call this an "attractive nuisance", seriously!

It gets tested, but not as rigorously as the ones in the kitche, the
workshop or
the three bathrooms.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

black "reset"
button can be pressed in. Tiny tiny ants all around the GFCI and the box.
I think the box has become an nest/ colony.

The breaker at the main panel has not repeat not tripped.

Anybody ever run into this sort of thing?

Place either a gel bait around or a dust(non conductive) in the
electrical box to get rid of the ants...very common to find them there.

Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm suprized that a GFI would last that long outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The box that the GFCI is in is attached to a 4"'x4" post. No second
conduit.
Des[pite my inherent cheapness, I'm thinking junk the GFCI device.
GFCIs are in out side outlets for a *reason* and its just slightly

important
that they actually function when needed. I mean, after all its *just*
an electrocution hazard, potentially my life, etc. G

Get serious.

A LOT of other things have to "go wrong" before the GFCI is in place to
"save" your life.

If you really depend upon a GFCI to "save your life" then you should be
testing it monthly (including an occasional test with an external "fault
simulator.")

All that said, they don't last forever. For my money the "expected
lifetime" is about 10 years. That means that in a typical home, you will
be replacing one or two of them each year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ants in outside GFCI box....please don't hurt yourself laughing....

John Gilmer wrote:
The box that the GFCI is in is attached to a 4"'x4" post. No second
conduit.
Des[pite my inherent cheapness, I'm thinking junk the GFCI device.
GFCIs are in out side outlets for a *reason* and its just slightly

important

that they actually function when needed. I mean, after all its *just*
an electrocution hazard, potentially my life, etc. G

Get serious.

A LOT of other things have to "go wrong" before the GFCI is in place to
"save" your life.

If you really depend upon a GFCI to "save your life" then you should be
testing it monthly (including an occasional test with an external "fault
simulator.")

Are you just vision impaired and didn't see the fraggin' G in the post?
Or are you humor impaired so that you saw the fraggin' G in the post,
you were incapable of understanding it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Autopsy on the GFCI and the ants......

I did the RAID spray Monday, 21 May.

Replaced the GFCI todya with a visually similar Leviton unit, 20 amp.

New unit has those fraggin' back clamp, not back stab connectors as
well as the screw terminals. Used the screw terminals of course.

New unit has cutesy green pilot light. New unit made in China.

Old Leviton unit had only screw terminals. So old it was Made in USA.
Old unit had no pilot light.

Used high pressure air to blow old unit clean of surface piles of very
dead ants. Lots of dead ant. Had to clean out the exterior box the
same way.

Put old unit ina vise, opened the four tiny Phillips screws in the back,
popped off the two plactic "clamshell" type covers. Lots, lots more dead
ants inside clamshell, under PC board and generally
every where. cleaned it all, reassembled,
the "Test" and "Reset" buttons push in fine now, and pop back
out as they should.

Thought about mounting in in a box and using and old three wire to check
to see if it sill functions. Thought better odf that and just tossed the
old unit.

Interesting experience with the ants.

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jJim McLaughlin, Sean Parker wrote:
Dude - chill out - never seen G before - means nothing.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...in-218894-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

That post was 9 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GFCI centered in a double wide box, is this possible? [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 3rd 07 02:50 AM
Ants, Lots of Ants Steve Home Repair 21 July 26th 06 04:13 AM
Plese remove scs from the headers Robert Peffers Woodworking 1 December 11th 05 04:16 AM
Plese remove scs from the headers Robert Peffers Woodworking 0 December 10th 05 09:18 PM
Did I hurt my new saw? [email protected] Woodworking 15 March 26th 05 08:10 PM