Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Ants in outside GFCI box....plese don't hurt yourslf laughing....

The box that the GFCI is in is attached to a 4"'x4" post. No second
conduit.
Des[pite my inherent cheapness, I'm thinking junk the GFCI device.
GFCIs are in out side outlets for a *reason* and its just slightly

important
that they actually function when needed. I mean, after all its *just*
an electrocution hazard, potentially my life, etc. G

Get serious.

A LOT of other things have to "go wrong" before the GFCI is in place to
"save" your life.

If you really depend upon a GFCI to "save your life" then you should be
testing it monthly (including an occasional test with an external "fault
simulator.")

All that said, they don't last forever. For my money the "expected
lifetime" is about 10 years. That means that in a typical home, you will
be replacing one or two of them each year.