Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Ants in outside GFCI box....plese don't hurt yourslf laughing....

I have a 12 ga, grounded line (black, white and green conductors) in 3/4
inch
metal conduit buried about 3 feet deep that goes out of the garage to a
point in
the back yard about 40 feet from the house, where it comes up, again in
conduit,
and goes into a metal all weather box with hinged, gasketed cover.
GFCI outlet
in box. Has worked fine for 30 years, since I moved in here in 1977.

Line originates at a 20 amp dedicated breaker at the main panel in the
garage,
runs as 12 ga romex to a point in the garage wall where it exits
into a box and then goes down through conduit into the ground, out to the
GFCI box.

Plug in the leaf blower yesterday and no juice. Figure I need to test
and reset
the GFCI. Buttons on the GFCI won't move. Neither the red "test" nor
black "reset"
button can be pressed in. Tiny tiny ants all around the GFCI and the box.
I think the box has become an nest/ colony.

The breaker at the main panel has not repeat not tripped.

Anybody ever run into this sort of thing?

I can spray the ants, kill the breaker and pull the GFCI and really
clean the box and
spray it and the top 8 - 10 inches of the conduit with Raid or some such.

But, Raid and insulation on the wire in the conduit? Any known effect?
(I really do not want to do the old stand by of pouring boiling water on
the ants around a 20 amp circuit thank you, even one on which I've
killed the breaker.)

Also, being cheap, I'd rather not have to replace the GFCI device, and
would like to remove it and blow it clean with high pressure air.
Any thoughts on other methods to clean the interior of the GFCI device?

Ain't home ownership fun? The work never ceases.