Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expanding foam products (Great Stuff from HD, etc)

Awl--

Does anyone have experience with this type stuff?
I bought some Great Stuff from HD, and was not all that impressed with it.
I was expecting it to expand a lot more.

Great Stuff would be ok for the occasional crack/joint/missing brick, etc.,
but I will need quite a bit more to quick-fix a fallen garage
stucco/plaster/lathe ceiling that I have structurally repaired, but just
want to quickly even/level out the surface, without going through all the
masonry travails.
I will even glue up styrofoam sheets to take up some of the volume, but will
still have considerable volume to fill in.

Any experience/leads?
tia.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
Awl--

Does anyone have experience with this type stuff?
I bought some Great Stuff from HD, and was not all that impressed with it.
I was expecting it to expand a lot more.

Great Stuff would be ok for the occasional crack/joint/missing brick,

etc.,
but I will need quite a bit more to quick-fix a fallen garage
stucco/plaster/lathe ceiling that I have structurally repaired, but just
want to quickly even/level out the surface, without going through all the
masonry travails.
I will even glue up styrofoam sheets to take up some of the volume, but

will
still have considerable volume to fill in.

Any experience/leads?

The garage usually requires fire rated walls. Why don't you use dry wall to
fill up the space?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

I think I did use some dry wall, but from previous water damage, the
existing ceiling is so convoluted that I sort of just wanted to skim the
whole thing out in this foam stuff, deep and shallow.
I'm looking to get through this as easily as possible. Old house, garage is
actually the basement of the house.
I'm hoping there are better products than not-so Great Stuff.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Posted to alt.home.repair

The product is not designed to skim coat anything, but fill cracks up to a
certain width. I don't know why you think foam will work, but here is a
source for foam than can be sprayed on a surface.

http://www.fomofoam.com/

Use at your own risk. Maybe if you posted a picture of what you are trying
to fix someone can come up with a better solution.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Here we go again, someone who wants to do anything that is easy, cheap and
wrong rather than do it right. A garage in the basement of a house REQUIRES
a fire rated ceiling to prevent fumes and flames from spreading from the
garage to the rest of the house and killing the occupants. NO FOAM will do
this, they all burn. Do it properly, the original plaster ceiling probably
met the fire code when installed, you now need to replace it with fire rated
drywall, many places require 2 layers with all joints staggered as well as
taped and mudded. Some codes require flame proof seals around all
perforations such as pipes. You should check your local requirements, they
are there to protect you.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in message
[...]

When it comes time to sell the place, you are gonna have to fix it right
anyway, or the buyer's inspector will flag it. By 'structural repair' do you
mean you screwed the lathe back to the joists? At this point, rather than
screw around trying to sculpt a ceiling, I'd either overlay the whole thing
with 5/8 fire-rated rock (if it was flat enough for that), or rip the whole
mess down and rock the bare joists with the fire-rated rock. (which will
make any loose insulation fall down, too.) Mud and tape and paint to suit.
Texture in a garage is a bad idea, IMHO, since those walls never stay clean,
and texture ain't scrubbable before a repaint. Benefit of rerocking clean
framing, is that it is a great time to put modern insulation in that space,
which will make floors above feel a lot warmer.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
Awl--

Does anyone have experience with this type stuff?
I bought some Great Stuff from HD, and was not all that impressed with it.
I was expecting it to expand a lot more

Great Stuff works well, but there are 3 different kinds - the stuff that is
"minimally" expanding (for doors & windows), the normal stuff which is
probably what you got, and the stuff for really big gaps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, that is good to know, and explains it. god forbid anyone from HD
woulda told me this.... Or that they would carry all three....

For the tongue-clucking house police, I've come up with an even easier
solution, almost as non-code.
I have a cupla bags of fiberglass insultion scraps, so I'm just gonna pack
all the crevices with this, and laminate that area of the ceiling w/
leftover 1/8" paneling, and paint to match--as if anything matches to begin
with.

If it makes the House Police feel any better, the garage is not used for
cars, anyway.

Arrest me....

This whole notion of House Perfection, and of "Doin it right" is, to me, an
effing HGTV conspiracy.
There have been numerous articles written, and I think research studies done
and this fukn *obsession* we have w/ our goddamm lawns and houses.
They have become gargantuan symbolic badges of, basically, my dick is bigger
than your dick.
It is, immho (2nd m= maladjusted), insanity.

HGTV is a significant factor in what has turned real estate into a predatory
phenom, where now the "average" person feeds off the less fortunate average
person.
Kids, in the major metropolitan areas, will never be able to leave their
parents houses--or 1 BR apt, as the case may be.
Which makes sed predation now economic cannibalism.

The other factors are Malthus and Darwin.
And, of course, effing Carlton ****s.

Burned in my brain is the HGTV episode where this effing twit just had to
have a bathroom with a 3-story domed Roman ceiling.
Man, her dumps musta just been spectacular
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Bob M." wrote in message
. ..

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in message ...
Awl--

Does anyone have experience with this type stuff?
I bought some Great Stuff from HD, and was not all that impressed with
it.
I was expecting it to expand a lot more

Great Stuff works well, but there are 3 different kinds - the stuff that
is "minimally" expanding (for doors & windows), the normal stuff which is
probably what you got, and the stuff for really big gaps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
Thanks, that is good to know, and explains it. god forbid anyone from HD
woulda told me this.... Or that they would carry all three....

For the tongue-clucking house police, I've come up with an even easier
solution, almost as non-code.
I have a cupla bags of fiberglass insultion scraps, so I'm just gonna pack
all the crevices with this, and laminate that area of the ceiling w/
leftover 1/8" paneling, and paint to match--as if anything matches to
begin with.

Just how many cars do you have on your front lawn anyhow?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in message ...
Thanks, that is good to know, and explains it. god forbid anyone from HD
woulda told me this.... Or that they would carry all three....

For the tongue-clucking house police, I've come up with an even easier
solution, almost as non-code.
I have a cupla bags of fiberglass insultion scraps, so I'm just gonna
pack all the crevices with this, and laminate that area of the ceiling w/
leftover 1/8" paneling, and paint to match--as if anything matches to
begin with.

Just how many cars do you have on your front lawn anyhow?

Not the whole cars, silly.
Just the seats.
With a boombox and coolers full of beer..... of course.

Very few people use their garages for cars.
Mostly they're used for illegal apartments, shops (me), or storage.
Except in Manhattan, of course.
And in a few places in the more uppity parts of Westchester, where it is
against effing town ordinances to park on the street.
goodgawd....
And even there, most people make do with driveways.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 9:40 am, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

now the "average" person feeds off the less fortunate average
person.

Case in point, the poor sucker who ends up buying your ever-so-
cleverly-repaired house.

--Eric Smith

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
wrote:

now the "average" person feeds off the less fortunate average
person.

Case in point, the poor sucker who ends up buying your ever-so-
cleverly-repaired house.
___________

Actually, not the case in point, as you completely missed the point.
You missed the barn.

The poor sucker who buys my house won't be so poor--my house increased in
value by over a factor of 10 in 10 years, and if the Yupster Plague, whose
epicenter is in Manhattan, continues to propagate, it'll be up by a factor
of 20 in no time soon.

When I sell, *then* I will be a part of that cannibalistic process.
Unless the buyer is an effing lawyer et al--different species, donchaknow.

But, I will give a credit for fixing said ceiling, iffin that makes you feel
any better.

In the meantime, ahma try dat Great Stuff. My alternative plans proved not
to be so hot.

Ultimately, if the space were cleared, the easiest thing to do would be to
re-rock the ceiling.
But clearing idn't an option now.

Sheesh, you people must be quite addicted to HGTV.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

--Eric Smith

Expanding Foam The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 September 19th 06 12:30 AM
"Great Stuff" foam sealers Eigenvector Home Repair 5 September 13th 06 02:41 PM
Expanding Foam VisionSet UK diy 3 September 6th 06 09:16 PM
Anyone use "Great Stuff" expanding foam? zxcvbob Home Repair 26 August 24th 05 01:48 AM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM