Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Expanding foam products (Great Stuff from HD, etc)

Here we go again, someone who wants to do anything that is easy, cheap and
wrong rather than do it right. A garage in the basement of a house REQUIRES
a fire rated ceiling to prevent fumes and flames from spreading from the
garage to the rest of the house and killing the occupants. NO FOAM will do
this, they all burn. Do it properly, the original plaster ceiling probably
met the fire code when installed, you now need to replace it with fire rated
drywall, many places require 2 layers with all joints staggered as well as
taped and mudded. Some codes require flame proof seals around all
perforations such as pipes. You should check your local requirements, they
are there to protect you.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote
in
message ...
Awl--

Does anyone have experience with this type stuff?
I bought some Great Stuff from HD, and was not all that impressed with
it.
I was expecting it to expand a lot more.

Great Stuff would be ok for the occasional crack/joint/missing brick,

etc.,
but I will need quite a bit more to quick-fix a fallen garage
stucco/plaster/lathe ceiling that I have structurally repaired, but just
want to quickly even/level out the surface, without going through all
the
masonry travails.
I will even glue up styrofoam sheets to take up some of the volume, but

will
still have considerable volume to fill in.

Any experience/leads?

The garage usually requires fire rated walls. Why don't you use dry wall
fill up the space?

I think I did use some dry wall, but from previous water damage, the
existing ceiling is so convoluted that I sort of just wanted to skim the
whole thing out in this foam stuff, deep and shallow.
I'm looking to get through this as easily as possible. Old house, garage
is actually the basement of the house.
I'm hoping there are better products than not-so Great Stuff.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs