Posted to alt.home.repair
M5G M5G is offline

Default Maytag Dryer Model DE 606

My trusty Maytag dryer stopped. It does nothing! I have checked all the
thermal fuses and found one of the two located by the back of the drum open.
I replaced it. Still nothing! No sound not a thing.

I pulled the motor and terminals 3 & 5 when hooked up to 120 volts will let
the motor run correctly.

No problem starting it that way. I put the motor back and still nothing. I
am suspicious of the control switch; however, I need to know some things:

Is there an internal thermal device in the motor housing itself? (which
wouldn't explain why it ran)
Are there more than two thermal devices on the back of the dryer? (both of
these ohm out)
There is one in front of the dryer for the element - it checks out too!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I have taken this dryer apart from front to back many times and even added an
idler wheel at the rear to help keep the belts tight to operate the drum. I
hate to part with a good machine and one that I know -- or thought I knew.....

Again many thanks to all responses!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"M5G" u34334@uwe wrote in message news:726b1a3e0a773@uwe...
My trusty Maytag dryer stopped. It does nothing! I have checked all the
thermal fuses and found one of the two located by the back of the drum
open.
I replaced it. Still nothing! No sound not a thing.

I pulled the motor and terminals 3 & 5 when hooked up to 120 volts will
let
the motor run correctly.

How about the door switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair
M5G M5G is offline

I checked the door switch and it seems suspect....ohm meter goes back and
forth...will replace...never thought about the switch. Thanks for the
insight.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
My trusty Maytag dryer stopped. It does nothing! I have checked all the
thermal fuses and found one of the two located by the back of the drum

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
let
the motor run correctly.

How about the door switch?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I almost hate to ask but have you checked the dryer's circuit breaker
to see if it has tripped?

Posted to alt.home.repair

CORRECTION: BELT SIZES are 56 inch and 46 1/2 inch (not 46 inch)! Corrected
below..

M5G wrote:
I almost hate to ask but have you checked the dryer's circuit breaker
to see if it has tripped?

That was the first thing I checked. All OK.
Got it fixed! Thanks for your help. It was the door switch.....by passed it
and put another switch in its place located remote. When it was ohmed it
pulsated up and down indicating some problem it the circuit contunity.
Replaced it with another remote switch and works fine. Now I am replacing the
belts..replaced one and when it was installed the other is too loose....
lesson: always relace both belts at one time...got them for less than $10
each at local auto store...had to order but price saved $15 each. Belt sizes
56 inch and 461/2 inch on this unit...but I read that some DE606 units have a
different size--like a 42 1/2" instead of the 56".

I feel like I know this dryer -- hate to change to new one after reading all
the post at sites about problems with new washers and dryers.

Thank you all for your input.