Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV porblem

Need some help. I have a Phillips 32" model TS3258C1 that quit after a pop sound I do work on copiers so I have some idea of what happened (also smells like burnt transformer or something similar. It's 11:00 PM in Chicago now so I haven't opened the unit up yet. I was wonder if anyone is familiar with some weakness in this TV that might save me some trouble shooting time.
Thanks Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Need some help. I have a Phillips 32" model TS3258C1 that quit after a
pop sound I do work on copiers so I have some idea of what happened
(also smells like burnt transformer or something similar. It's 11:00 PM
in Chicago now so I haven't opened the unit up yet. I was wonder if
anyone is familiar with some weakness in this TV that might save me some
trouble shooting time.
Thanks Frank

Hi,
Sounds like you lost high voltage going to CRT anode. Open up the set
discharge the HV circuit and sniff around to see if anything cooked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Frank" wrote:

Need some help. I have a Phillips 32" model TS3258C1 that quit after a pop
sound I do work on copiers so I have some idea of what happened (also smells
like burnt transformer or something similar. It's 11:00 PM in Chicago now so
I haven't opened the unit up yet. I was wonder if anyone is familiar with
some weakness in this TV that might save me some trouble shooting time.
Thanks Frank

I always take my TV porblems over to sci.electronics.repair. But don't
go over there claiming that your experience with copiers is relevant,
unless you can back up your statement that you have "some idea" what
might be wrong. They might challenge that assertion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message ...
Need some help. I have a Phillips 32" model TS3258C1 that quit after a pop sound I do work on copiers so I have some idea of what happened (also smells like burnt transformer or something similar. It's 11:00 PM in Chicago now so I haven't opened the unit up yet. I was wonder if anyone is familiar with some weakness in this TV that might save me some trouble shooting time.
Thanks Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

First you have to do as someone else said - discharge the HV circuitry.

If you don't know what that is, you can kill yourself with the 10,000 or so volts that are inside the box. Don't open the TV.

In the unlikely event you can find a place that repairs TV's, don't be surprised to hear it's not worth fixing. Keep in mind that all analog TV transmitters must be turned off on 3/1/09 by FCC mandate. That alone means you have just under 2 years before that analog TV won't work. (yes I know about the converter boxes, but why bother?)

"Frank" wrote in message ...
Need some help. I have a Phillips 32" model TS3258C1 that quit after a pop sound I do work on copiers so I have some idea of what happened (also smells like burnt transformer or something similar. It's 11:00 PM in Chicago now so I haven't opened the unit up yet. I was wonder if anyone is familiar with some weakness in this TV that might save me some trouble shooting time.
Thanks Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 May 2007 20:57:48 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

I always take my TV porblems over to sci.electronics.repair. But don't
go over there claiming that your experience with copiers is relevant,
unless you can back up your statement that you have "some idea" what
might be wrong. They might challenge that assertion.

Oh yes it helps. It means he knows how to open up machines without
killing himself, without causing more damage and knows what to look
for if given directions. He will also know how to put things back
together.

Always unplug the TV when working on it. Look around for any smoked
part. You likely have a single board PCB that won't be repairable by
other than the dealer's agent. It will cost you at least $100 for the
shop to look at it and, with even the tinniest fix, end up costing
more than a new TV. They aren't interested in making repairs at this
level (smoked part). It is either a whole board swap or a lot of shop
storage while waiting for a unsourceable part to come in. In any case
service guys don't make parts repairs any more as how do you unsolder
and resolder a component that is smaller than a pen nib point. How do
you place the multimeter probes on micro-traces protected by a
conformal plastic coating to measure anything in the first place to
troubleshoot the failed part?

Next power it on and see if there is any glow in the CRT gun. The
first obvious place to test will be the fuse and then test the output
voltrages from the transformer. Check also the Vcc of a few ICs,
resistors and caps. With the power on use a wood dowel (or something
similar) and move the wiring around to see if anything is alive. Go
from there. The only two fixes you can do is to clean the parts and
reseat them firmly. With a bit of luck your problem may be a cold
solder.

It will be an educational experience. Its unlikely a smoked TV is
worth repairing if a new one costs under $400. Don't worry about
being zapped. Its unpleasant but its not even as powerful as a taser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 May 2007 21:30:28 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

First you have to do as someone else said - discharge the HV circuitry.

If you don't know what that is, you can kill yourself with the 10,000 or so volts that are inside the box. Don't open the TV.

In the unlikely event you can find a place that repairs TV's, don't be surprised to hear it's not worth fixing. Keep in mind that all analog TV transmitters must be turned off on 3/1/09 by FCC mandate.

Terrestrial broadcast in particular frequency ranges.

Don't forget the many sources of analog video that AREN'T affected by
that mandate like cable, satellite box, VCR, DVD, video game, security
camera, etc...

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Strange phone porblem nafuk UK diy 2 September 4th 06 01:43 PM
tricky finishing porblem [email protected] Woodturning 12 March 19th 06 08:05 AM
Pincushion porblem Noman Electronics Repair 2 August 11th 04 07:40 AM