Noman

Default Pincushion porblem

Hi,

I have a Goodmans 28" (286NS/05) television. The image has suddenly
become distorted (pincushion). I am trying to get a way to identify
the faulty component but am unsuccessful. Could anybody help me here?

I have located a potentiometer (small orange one) on the CRT's circuit
board when I put it to maximum the image increased its pin cushion
size but I need to get this distortion out. I would appreciate anyones
help.

Thanks in advance.
Jerry G.

A common fault are capacitors going off value in the pin cushioning amp
section. You will need an ESR meter to properly test all the caps, or
substitute them until you weed out all the bad ones. This does not rule out
the possibility of having other types of components that have failed due to
age and use.

The harder way to fix this is to use a scope and DVM, and go through the pin
amp area to determine the fault by evaluation of the waveforms, and signal
and DC voltage levels.

To get involved in this you will need to purchase the service manual, and
the basic test instruments to start with.

My suggestion would be to take the set to a service centre that services
the make of TV you have, and let them service it for you. Normally these
types of repairs are not very expensive in relation to replacing the set.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Noman" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a Goodmans 28" (286NS/05) television. The image has suddenly
become distorted (pincushion). I am trying to get a way to identify
the faulty component but am unsuccessful. Could anybody help me here?

I have located a potentiometer (small orange one) on the CRT's circuit
board when I put it to maximum the image increased its pin cushion
size but I need to get this distortion out. I would appreciate anyones
help.

Thanks in advance.

James Sweet

"Noman" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a Goodmans 28" (286NS/05) television. The image has suddenly
become distorted (pincushion). I am trying to get a way to identify
the faulty component but am unsuccessful. Could anybody help me here?

I have located a potentiometer (small orange one) on the CRT's circuit
board when I put it to maximum the image increased its pin cushion
size but I need to get this distortion out. I would appreciate anyones
help.

Thanks in advance.

*DON'T* mess with any adjustments, this is *not* a matter of adjusting the
problem out, a part has failed and will need replacement.