Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing stickers from cabinet

I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I
bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the
cabinet.

Anyone know of a safe way to remove this?

(Sorry if this comes up as a repost. My computer was acting goofy and
I wasn't sure if my previous attempts went through, so Iam posting
from a different computer)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Yeah...I use a razorblade with a holder to take off stickers. Havn't
scratched anything yet...works great on glass...
wrote in message
ps.com...
I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I
bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the
cabinet.

Anyone know of a safe way to remove this?

(Sorry if this comes up as a repost. My computer was acting goofy and
I wasn't sure if my previous attempts went through, so Iam posting
from a different computer)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I
bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the
cabinet.

You're talking about glass, right? Nail polish remover. Make
sure you don't get it on other surfaces, for obvious reasons.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 May 2007 14:51:38 -0700, "
wrote:

I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I
bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the
cabinet.

Anyone know of a safe way to remove this?

Dab of vegetable oil using finger tip, let soak the paper and wipe
off.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Sun, 13 May 2007 15:23:56 -0700, Oren graced
this newsgroup with:

On 13 May 2007 14:51:38 -0700, "
wrote:

I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I
bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the
cabinet.

Anyone know of a safe way to remove this?

Dab of vegetable oil using finger tip, let soak the paper and wipe
off.

I've found that lighter fluid (like Ronson or Zippo), works very well
in removing the gum/paper left over when peeling off items from wood,
glass and plastic.

Neither my wife or I are smokers but we always keep a bottle of it
handy for just that purpose.

*Whatever* you do, DON'T use Goof-off. That stuff *stinks* and no
matter how hard you try, you have a devil of a time getting rid of
the small.

Lighter fluid has a mild odor that dissipates almost immediately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I
bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the
cabinet.

Anyone know of a safe way to remove this?

Dab of vegetable oil using finger tip, let soak the paper and wipe
off.

I've found that lighter fluid (like Ronson or Zippo), works very well
in removing the gum/paper left over when peeling off items from wood,
glass and plastic.

Neither my wife or I are smokers but we always keep a bottle of it
handy for just that purpose.

*Whatever* you do, DON'T use Goof-off. That stuff *stinks* and no
matter how hard you try, you have a devil of a time getting rid of
the small.

Lighter fluid has a mild odor that dissipates almost immediately.

Vegetable oil and soak the label. Wipe off.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I need to remove the stickers ...

Ralph's grocery stores (and perhaps others) in Southern
California sell a cleaning liquid (in the household cleaning
supplies section) brand named "Di-solv-it" (I might be
slightly off on the spelling) that has worked for me on lots
of similar situations. Spray a bit on, let it stand for
20-30 seconds (that is important), and then wipe it off.
Sometimes a second application is required to get all of the
dissolved adhesive. If you start rubbing right away,
without waiting 20-30 seconds for the fluid to soak into the
adhesive, you will be disappointed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

[...]

"The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!"- Hide quoted text -

Don't forget WD-40

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I
bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the
cabinet.

Anyone know of a safe way to remove this?

(Sorry if this comes up as a repost. My computer was acting goofy and
I wasn't sure if my previous attempts went through, so Iam posting
from a different computer)

Use a 5" angle grinder. Be careful not to scratch anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

About time someone mentioned the old WD. Peel the label. Soak
what's left. Scrub the oil soaked remnant with finger nails, or
nylon scrubby pad.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Don't forget WD-40
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 13 May 2007 15:57:35 -0600, "Jim" myplace@home wrote:

Yeah...I use a razorblade with a holder to take off stickers. Havn't
scratched anything yet...works great on glass...

If this leaves gummy stuff, use orange cleaner for that. Not sure
every brand is as good as another, at least after 8 years.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I
bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the
cabinet.

Anyone know of a safe way to remove this?

(Sorry if this comes up as a repost. My computer was acting goofy and
I wasn't sure if my previous attempts went through, so Iam posting
from a different computer)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 May 2007 16:19:20 -0700, Bob wrote:
Don't forget WD-40

And vegetable oil :-))

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 13 May 2007 16:18:35 -0700, "CWLee"
wrote:

wrote

I need to remove the stickers ...

Ralph's grocery stores (and perhaps others) in Southern
California sell a cleaning liquid (in the household cleaning
supplies section) brand named "Di-solv-it" (I might be

Yeah, that stuff is great. It was the first one I saw for sale, but
there are now a couple other orange-based cleaners that I think are
often just as good.

slightly off on the spelling) that has worked for me on lots
of similar situations. Spray a bit on, let it stand for
20-30 seconds (that is important), and then wipe it off.
Sometimes a second application is required to get all of the
dissolved adhesive. If you start rubbing right away,
without waiting 20-30 seconds for the fluid to soak into the
adhesive, you will be disappointed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Sun, 13 May 2007 19:37:52 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
graced this newsgroup with:

About time someone mentioned the old WD. Peel the label. Soak
what's left. Scrub the oil soaked remnant with finger nails, or
nylon scrubby pad.

lighter fluid doesn't require soaking or scrubbing. Squirt, wipe off,
done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Max wrote in
:

wrote:

I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I
bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the
cabinet.

Anyone know of a safe way to remove this?

Dab of vegetable oil using finger tip, let soak the paper and wipe
off.

I've found that lighter fluid (like Ronson or Zippo), works very well
in removing the gum/paper left over when peeling off items from wood,
glass and plastic.

Neither my wife or I are smokers but we always keep a bottle of it
handy for just that purpose.

*Whatever* you do, DON'T use Goof-off. That stuff *stinks* and no
matter how hard you try, you have a devil of a time getting rid of
the small.

Lighter fluid has a mild odor that dissipates almost immediately.

charcoal grill lighter fluid also works.
Good as an automotive bug and tar remover,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About time someone mentioned the old WD. Peel the label. Soak
what's left. Scrub the oil soaked remnant with finger nails, or
nylon scrubby pad.

WD-40. Let it soak for a minute or two and it will slide off like a
wet stamp. WD-40 is something that is always useful to have around
the house. Lighter-fluid, naptha, acetone, etc. is something you have
to buy for just your one job. I wouldn't have any of these highly
infammable fluids around the house. They also don't store well - will
evaporate with time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Mon, 14 May 2007 10:47:36 -0400, "betsyb"
graced this newsgroup with:

GOO GONE is the product that takes this glue off. I found it in the hardware
store.

yeech..the stuff smells horrible and stinks up the whole house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On 14 May 2007 17:38:17 GMT, Jim Yanik graced this
newsgroup with:

charcoal grill lighter fluid also works.
Good as an automotive bug and tar remover,too.

ah..good idea..probably about the same as lighter fluid. thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Max wrote in
:

On 14 May 2007 17:38:17 GMT, Jim Yanik graced this
newsgroup with:

charcoal grill lighter fluid also works.
Good as an automotive bug and tar remover,too.

ah..good idea..probably about the same as lighter fluid. thanks.

Cheaper than lighter fluid.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 8:00�pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Max wrote :

On 14 May 2007 17:38:17 GMT, Jim Yanik graced this
newsgroup with:

charcoal grill lighter fluid also works.
Good as an automotive bug and tar remover,too.

ah..good idea..probably about the same as lighter fluid. *thanks.

Cheaper than lighter fluid.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

goof off or goo gone both work well and dont tend to attack the base
surface available at home depot

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lights easier, too. Look, ma, no sticker! Look, ma, no hair!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Max" wrote in message
: On Sun, 13 May 2007 19:37:52 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
: graced this newsgroup
with:
:
: About time someone mentioned the old WD. Peel the label. Soak
: what's left. Scrub the oil soaked remnant with finger nails,
or
: nylon scrubby pad.
:
: lighter fluid doesn't require soaking or scrubbing. Squirt,
wipe off,
: done.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On 15 May 2007 00:00:11 GMT, Jim Yanik graced this
newsgroup with:

Max wrote in
:

On 14 May 2007 17:38:17 GMT, Jim Yanik graced this
newsgroup with:

charcoal grill lighter fluid also works.
Good as an automotive bug and tar remover,too.

ah..good idea..probably about the same as lighter fluid. thanks.

Cheaper than lighter fluid.

good point.