Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default Need info on Honeywell L7224U boiler control

I am thinking of installing a Honeywell L7224U electronic boiler control on my
Weil McLain gold series boiler. I do not make hot water with my boiler, and as
so, it does not run when the house is not calling for heat. It has a single
aquastat L8148A on it now that does not have a low limit control to keep the
boiler warm. According to my oil service company tech, this cooling off causes
moisture buildup, and because of the moisture, causes any fluffy carbon build up
in the boiler to solidify, and clog up the unit, which has happened a few times
already. The L7224U control box has a programmable low limit that you can set as
low as 110 degrees, just to keep the boiler warm when the house is not calling
for heat in the summer. My service guy says that this should keep the carbon
from solidifying and plugging up the boiler. I have read thru the instructions,
and there is only 1 thing that I question. If the power goes out, does the unit
lose all of its programming, or does it retain it all during a power outage ???
I can't find anyone who has installed one of these yet and has any experience
with them.

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sun, 13 May 2007 18:18:02 GMT, (Ron in
NY) wrote:

I am thinking of installing a Honeywell L7224U electronic boiler control on my
Weil McLain gold series boiler. I do not make hot water with my boiler,

Then sell it. that's all it's good for. That's all boilers
do. They take cold water and turn it into hot water.

and as
so, it does not run when the house is not calling for heat. It has a single
aquastat L8148A on it now that does not have a low limit control to keep the
boiler warm. According to my oil service company tech, this cooling off causes
moisture buildup, and because of the moisture, causes any fluffy carbon build up
in the boiler to solidify, and clog up the unit, which has happened a few times
already. The L7224U control box has a programmable low limit that you can set as
low as 110 degrees, just to keep the boiler warm when the house is not calling
for heat in the summer. My service guy says that this should keep the carbon
from solidifying and plugging up the boiler. I have read thru the instructions,

Apparently he thinks you're an idiot.

and there is only 1 thing that I question. If the power goes out, does the unit
lose all of its programming, or does it retain it all during a power outage ???

Yes. For sure. Every time. Absolutely. Uh huh.

I can't find anyone who has installed one of these yet and has any experience
with them.

Oh ? What about your 'oil service company tech ' ???

Apparently you think WE'RE idiots enough to believe your
bull**** story.

RON
================================================= =======
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
RBM RBM is offline

It has to have something to retain its settings, but why get such a fancy,
expensive control. Just wire an aquastat into the water jacket that closes
at 110 degrees or whatever you like and be sure to wire it into the burner
circuit only, so it doesn't start any circulators

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:42:54 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

It has to have something to retain its settings, but why get such a fancy,
expensive control. Just wire an aquastat into the water jacket that closes
at 110 degrees or whatever you like and be sure to wire it into the burner
circuit only, so it doesn't start any circulators

You ****ing moron.

Seeing as you don't have clue # ****ing one about boilers,
just STFU.

Anyone who KNOWS anything about boilers and has read the OP
knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
RBM RBM is offline

Or, you could just replace the current aquastat relay on the unit with a
triple aquastat relay like Honeywell L8124A1007 which will do the same thing
as the current one, with the addition of the low temp cut in, which you can
set as low as 110

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

( sigh )

I can see I'm going to have to spell this out for you.

During the summer months, as the boiler is not serving DHW, he
needs to TURN IT THE **** OFF, not 'maintain it at 110'.

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
RBM RBM is offline

Aside from what your tech has indicated, I've found that boilers that were
allowed to go cold during summer months, tended to develop premature leaks
between the sections from the expansion and contraction

"Ron in NY" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Aside from what your tech has indicated, I've found that boilers that were
allowed to go cold during summer months, tended to develop premature leaks
between the sections from the expansion and contraction

This is simply not true. And his "tech" is no tech.

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"-zero" wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Aside from what your tech has indicated, I've found that boilers that

were
allowed to go cold during summer months, tended to develop premature

leaks
between the sections from the expansion and contraction

This is simply not true. And his "tech" is no tech.

-zero

Finally a reply that's accurate!