Posted to alt.home.repair

Default retrieve contents of aerosol can??

I have an aerosol can of an expensive "dry lubricant".

Can is almost full, but the plastic button on top, that you push to
release the contents........that valve has failed.

I've messed around with it a lot, cuz I want that lube. Could _NOT_
get the button to function. Clogged, internally broken........I don't
know!

Now the flimsy plastic push button has disappeared. So now I just
basically have a sealed, pressurized can, full of an expensive dry
lube.

How can I release the pressure in the can so that I can safely empty
the contents into a non-pressurized container?

Lee in Denver

Posted to alt.home.repair
cas cas is offline

Have you replaced the spray nozzle with one from another aerosol
container?

No idea if there is a way to easily "drain" it. I know of someone who
had the nozzle on a can of shaving cream go so they picked the rubber
seal out of the bottom of the can. They're probably still cleaning
that stuff from the walls.

On May 13, 11:18 am, " wrote:
I have an aerosol can of an expensive "dry lubricant".

Can is almost full, but the plastic button on top, that you push to
release the contents........that valve has failed.

I've messed around with it a lot, cuz I want that lube. Could _NOT_
get the button to function. Clogged, internally broken........I don't
know!

Now the flimsy plastic push button has disappeared. So now I just
basically have a sealed, pressurized can, full of an expensive dry
lube.

How can I release the pressure in the can so that I can safely empty
the contents into a non-pressurized container?

Lee in Denver

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have an aerosol can of an expensive "dry lubricant".

Can is almost full, but the plastic button on top, that you push to
release the contents........that valve has failed.

I've messed around with it a lot, cuz I want that lube. Could _NOT_
get the button to function. Clogged, internally broken........I don't
know!

Now the flimsy plastic push button has disappeared. So now I just
basically have a sealed, pressurized can, full of an expensive dry
lube.

How can I release the pressure in the can so that I can safely empty
the contents into a non-pressurized container?

Lee in Denver

I have successfully done what you've asked about by standing the can
upside down across the opened jaws of a bench vise so the top rim of the
can was supported by the jaws, balling a rag on the now topside botttom
of the can and carefully piercing a small hole in the can bottom by
tapping an awl through the rag and can bottom with a hammer.

That will release the propellant, after which you can use a "church key"
can opener (or whatever) to make a larger hole in the bottom of the can
to empty the contents through.

Use common sense to protect yourself and make sure there's plenty of
ventilation and no sources of combustion around, in case the propellant
is flammable.

HTH,

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 13, 10:18 am, " wrote:
I have an aerosol can of an expensive "dry lubricant".

Can is almost full, but the plastic button on top, that you push to
release the contents........that valve has failed.

I've messed around with it a lot, cuz I want that lube. Could _NOT_
get the button to function. Clogged, internally broken........I don't
know!

Now the flimsy plastic push button has disappeared. So now I just
basically have a sealed, pressurized can, full of an expensive dry
lube.

How can I release the pressure in the can so that I can safely empty
the contents into a non-pressurized container?

Lee in Denver

Take a sharp nail and with the can upright tap the nail into the can
at the outer top seam to make a small hole. The pressure is less than
that of most air compressors so other than the surprise factor there
should be no real downside and the contents won't spurt out of the
can. As always, YMMV.

Joe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My best technique for venting an aerosol can was to hold it
underwater in a pail, and puncture the SIDE of the can with the
old style can opener formerly found on scout knives.

Shows you hold old I am. I can remember when boy scouts carried
knives. And axes, and saws. Now days they are all unarmed and
helpless, so that child molesters can be assured they are
helpless in those cute uniforms.

This being dry lube, I think the other guy's suggestion was good.
Crumple a rag on top of the can, and punch it with a hammer and
an awl.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
: I have an aerosol can of an expensive "dry lubricant".
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On May 13, 10:18 am, " wrote:
[...]

Jeez. Once the pressure is released, realize that there will still be come
in combination with the product inside and that movement of the can will
further cause more pressure to be expelled. These two "experiences" just
don't sound real to me or there would be more detail given about what
happens after the initial pressure is released; sounds like guesses to me.

One who's actually done that,
Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an aerosol can of an expensive "dry lubricant".

Can is almost full, but the plastic button on top, that you push to
release the contents........that valve has failed.

I've messed around with it a lot, cuz I want that lube. Could _NOT_
get the button to function. Clogged, internally broken........I don't
know!

Now the flimsy plastic push button has disappeared. So now I just
basically have a sealed, pressurized can, full of an expensive dry
lube.

How can I release the pressure in the can so that I can safely empty
the contents into a non-pressurized container?

Lee in Denver

I would try calling the manufacturer and see if they will offer a free
replacement. You may not be the only person that this has happened to.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 13 May 2007 08:18:22 -0700, "
wrote:

I have an aerosol can of an expensive "dry lubricant".

Can is almost full, but the plastic button on top, that you push to
release the contents........that valve has failed.

I've messed around with it a lot, cuz I want that lube. Could _NOT_
get the button to function. Clogged, internally broken........I don't
know!

Now the flimsy plastic push button has disappeared. So now I just
basically have a sealed, pressurized can, full of an expensive dry
lube.

I save the buttons from aerosol cans so that I'll have a spare one
when this sort of things happen.

In this case you could look on cans of other things to get a button,
and borrow it.

But when I broke the nozzle off the can of scrubbing bubbles, I think
I broke the stem too, and nothing fit right. I was able to spray
some by poking a tube in the hole, but it didn't go where I wanted it.
(It went everywhere!)

I didn't think it would have worked as a liquid, so I ended up
throwing it away. Alas.

How can I release the pressure in the can so that I can safely empty
the contents into a non-pressurized container?

Lee in Denver

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 13, 11:07 am, Joe wrote:

snip

Take a sharp nail and with the can upright tap the nail into the can
at the outer top seam to make a small hole. The pressure is less than
that of most air compressors so other than the surprise factor there
should be no real downside and the contents won't spurt out of the
can. As always, YMMV.

Joe.

Just to expand on my previous post, I routinely dispose of aerosol
sprays by punching the small hole in the TOP seam to release the
pressure and have never had any contents spew out. I don't like to
expose our refuse collectors or other people to any unpleasant
surprises by tossing a loaded can in the trash. When I first tried
this years ago it was with a shop towel over the top, and pierciing
tool through the shop towel. It soon was obvious that nothing
spattered on the shop towel, so we do it with bare tops now. Use
common sense and safety glasses with all tools, though.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pop` wrote:

Joe wrote:

On May 13, 10:18 am, " wrote:

[...]

Trust me Pop, I've done it maybe three or four times when the valve
inside the can got gunked up and swapping a new spray "button" didn't
help getting anything to come out.

AFAICR my experiences have always been with cans of spray paint, and if
there was any "fizzing" like you get when opening a bottle of soda, it
wasn't very apparent, certainly not enough to cause anything to spurt
out of the hole in the can, while that hole was still pointing "up".

Course, I think EVERY spray can sold here in the USA has a "Do not
puncture or incinerate" warning on it, and for good reasons, which is
why in my eralier post I stressed proper ventilation and no ignition
sources. See what what this dumbass Darwin Award winner did to herself
by not thinking about what she was doing:

http://forum.goregasm.com/archive/in...p/t-51990.html

Does anyone know the outcome of her daughters' damage suit?

Never being one to confuse justice with law, I wouldn't be suprised if
they managed to shake something out of the manufacturer, Unilever.

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Wood stain in aerosol can. PVR Home Repair 11 May 21st 17 07:14 PM
Finish for Perfume aerosol Stew Woodturning 4 August 29th 06 05:23 AM
Aerosol wood stain. PVR Home Repair 4 August 13th 06 09:45 AM
How to retrieve account number for Telecopier 7032 Facsimile [email protected] Electronics 1 April 19th 06 12:23 AM
Sources of info to retrieve data off failing (failed) hard drives. Stellijer Electronics Repair 43 December 18th 03 07:01 PM