Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Finish for Perfume aerosol

I getting ready to try making a perfume aerosol and wonder what finish
should be used, that won't be affected by the chemicals in the perfume.
Anyone with experience care to comment?

Thanks,
Stew

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Stew" wrote:

I getting ready to try making a perfume aerosol and wonder what finish
should be used, that won't be affected by the chemicals in the perfume.
Anyone with experience care to comment?

No experience with your specific project, but...

You'd want a finish that is impervious to alcohol. Shellac is out off
the bat. Lacquer is probably OK, varnish would be just fine. Lacquer
would yield a higher gloss and may be faster to get to a completed item
but may be more susceptible to body oils and abrasions. Varnish is quite
durable but takes more care in applying due to longer cure time. To
attain a high gloss, one should wait at least 30 days before rubbing out
and polishing. Varnish will lend an amber tone to the wood while lacquer
is closer to "water-white".

There are certainly more durable and impervious finishes out there, such
as the catalyzed varieties, but they're not user or financially friendly
- used more in commercial production.

Do a sample test using a couple finishes of choice and then subject them
to perfume and handling as you see your item receiving.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I getting ready to try making a perfume aerosol and wonder what finish
should be used, that won't be affected by the chemicals in the perfume.
Anyone with experience care to comment?

I would use two-part epoxy. Not the thickened adhesive, but the coating. You
can get small quantities of epoxy in the form of System Three's RotFix resin
available at www.systemthree.com and I think the Woodcraft stores carry it, too.
Mix up a small batch, pour in, swish around for a couple of minutes and dump.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Stew" wrote in message
I getting ready to try making a perfume aerosol and wonder what finish
should be used, that won't be affected by the chemicals in the perfume.
Anyone with experience care to comment?

Thanks,
Stew

=================

Stew,
For relatively fast finish and convenience, I'd go with spray polyurethane
(Varathane, Defthane, etc.). It's fairly impervious to most solvents and
should do well with the perfume's base chemicals.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:58:42 +0000, Stew wrote:

I getting ready to try making a perfume aerosol and wonder what finish
should be used, that won't be affected by the chemicals in the perfume.
Anyone with experience care to comment?

Thanks,
Stew

My wife has been carrying a perfume atomizer I made for her about a year
ago. It's BL Maple burl coated with CA and still showing no signs of wear.

YMMV

Bill

shiny/matt patches on emulsion finish - how to get the 'mattest' finish [email protected] UK diy 0 February 18th 06 12:50 PM
How to Touch Up Wood Finish? [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 9th 06 04:40 PM
Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
finish on kitchen cabinets leon spinks Home Repair 4 December 1st 04 11:31 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM