Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American Standard bath faucet

I have an older am stand single handle bath/shower faucet that leaks.
I can get the handle and cover off but cannot get the the stem out.
There are no clips so I assume it unscrews? I am afraid it will break
with force needed to unscrew. I have soaked with Kroil oil with no
luck. Does anyone know how to get this out to replace washer?Faucet is
probably 30 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On May 12, 1:16 pm, pigeontoad wrote:
I have an older am stand single handle bath/shower faucet that leaks.
I can get the handle and cover off but cannot get the the stem out.
There are no clips so I assume it unscrews? I am afraid it will break
with force needed to unscrew. I have soaked with Kroil oil with no
luck. Does anyone know how to get this out to replace washer?Faucet is
probably 30 years old.

I have old Am Standard shower/tub shut-offs in 2 separate baths. I've
replaced washers on both. Stems will unscrew in standard direction
(lefty-loosey, righty-tighty). If really stuck, try abit of heat from
propane torch while turning. Don't melt the washer or burn the house
down!

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 May 2007 06:10:47 -0700, JB wrote:

On May 12, 1:16 pm, pigeontoad wrote:
I have an older am stand single handle bath/shower faucet that leaks.
I can get the handle and cover off but cannot get the the stem out.
There are no clips so I assume it unscrews? I am afraid it will break
with force needed to unscrew. I have soaked with Kroil oil with no
luck. Does anyone know how to get this out to replace washer?Faucet is
probably 30 years old.

I have old Am Standard shower/tub shut-offs in 2 separate baths. I've
replaced washers on both. Stems will unscrew in standard direction
(lefty-loosey, righty-tighty). If really stuck, try abit of heat from
propane torch while turning. Don't melt the washer or burn the house
down!

--Jeff

Thanks, but I found out there are 2 machine screws holding the
assembly to valve body and these have to be removed and then stem
comes out from behind. Glad they don't make them like that anymore.
Guy at plumbing supply said it was single handle push pull from the
sixties.