Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl siding

How does a person get started placing vinyl siding? Do I need
something called a starter strip and what about the outside corners. I`m
doing a small job and obviously have not done any siding before. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.google.com/search?q=install+vinyl+siding

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get started by calling the seamless steel siding guys. You'll regret the
vinyl. Everyone always does. 'course you can't tell them before they do
it.

--
Steve Barker

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
How does a person get started placing vinyl siding? Do I need
something called a starter strip and what about the outside corners. I`m
doing a small job and obviously have not done any siding before. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Steve Barker :
Get started by calling the seamless steel siding guys. You'll regret the
vinyl. Everyone always does. 'course you can't tell them before they do
it.

You must have a different definition of "everyone" and "always" than
most other people.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

First thing to do it get some information on good siding.
Meaure out the area you want to side and get the right
amount of squares. Look at the windows and doors and
get the right amount of j-channel.

The starter strip goes on the most bottom part of where you
want to side. Get a nice chalk line stapped straight and
level. From there you put the starter strip on and
go from there. If you attach it with nails or screws you
do need leave it loose about 1/8" from the wall to allow
movement.

How to cut it??/ I used a miter saw with the blade backwards.
You do not want to cut the material you want to grind it away for
clean cuts. You can also use a sharp blade or scissors to cut it.

All it in all its easy to work with.

On May 8, 4:42 pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
How does a person get started placing vinyl siding? Do I need
something called a starter strip and what about the outside corners. I`m
doing a small job and obviously have not done any siding before. TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to :

How to cut it??/ I used a miter saw with the blade backwards.
You do not want to cut the material you want to grind it away for
clean cuts. You can also use a sharp blade or scissors to cut it.

Aviation tinsnips work quite well. They have the leverage to
cut cleanly and accurately under control without requiring too much
grunting, cursing and swearing, and less likely to draw blood than
a knife ;-)

Not remotely as fast as a mitre saw, and you'll want to avoid
exposing many of your end cuts. But for a first-timer, it paces
things out nicely, and you don't have to get so crazy about safety
gear.

Did a 14'x14' gable end shed (9' side walls). First time with
vinyl. Two relaxing days of work. A pro with a mitre saw could
have probably done it by lunch break on the first day.

S'alright. It was a nice weekend.

Result really nice if I do say so myself.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nope, there are three kinds of vinyl siding customers.
1. those who have had problems
2. those who will have problems
3. those who won't admit they had problems.

Steve Barker

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Steve Barker :
Get started by calling the seamless steel siding guys. You'll regret the
vinyl. Everyone always does. 'course you can't tell them before they do
it.

You must have a different definition of "everyone" and "always" than
most other people.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Nope, there are three kinds of vinyl siding customers.
1. those who have had problems
2. those who will have problems
3. those who won't admit they had problems.

Steve Barker

I guess I'm a #2, but after 29 years so far, something just may happen
eventually.

There may be something better out there, but I'd not hesitate to do it again
based on past history.

100 yr old house, stucco over wood siding - now vinyl siding on top? [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 26th 05 08:52 PM
Vinyl Siding Corinne Home Repair 5 August 11th 05 09:35 PM
Vinyl siding to replace wood siding. ADD Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:22 PM
Styrofoam Between Present T1-11 Siding & New Vinyl Siding: Worth It ? Robert11 Home Repair 7 January 25th 05 12:42 AM
Styrofoam Between Present T1-11 Siding & New Vinyl Siding: Worth It ? Robert11 Home Ownership 0 January 24th 05 06:07 PM