DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vinyl siding (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/200110-vinyl-siding.html)

Herb and Eneva May 8th 07 09:42 PM

Vinyl siding

How does a person get started placing vinyl siding? Do I need
something called a starter strip and what about the outside corners. I`m
doing a small job and obviously have not done any siding before. TIA

Oren May 8th 07 10:46 PM

Vinyl siding

On Tue, 8 May 2007 16:42:35 -0400, (Herb and Eneva)
wrote:

How does a person get started placing vinyl siding? Do I need
something called a starter strip and what about the outside corners. I`m
doing a small job and obviously have not done any siding before. TIA

Chaulk line? Got to start some where. Never done myself.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

willshak May 8th 07 11:16 PM

Vinyl siding

http://www.google.com/search?q=install+vinyl+siding

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Tim Smith May 9th 07 12:18 AM

Vinyl siding

In article ,
(Herb and Eneva) wrote:
How does a person get started placing vinyl siding? Do I need
something called a starter strip and what about the outside corners. I`m
doing a small job and obviously have not done any siding before. TIA

There are generic instructions at the Vinyl Siding Institute website
he

http://www.vinylsiding.org/

Click on the "publications" link and there you will find an installation
manual, and many other publications related to vinyl siding.

--
--Tim Smith

Steve Barker May 9th 07 02:33 AM

Vinyl siding

Get started by calling the seamless steel siding guys. You'll regret the
vinyl. Everyone always does. 'course you can't tell them before they do
it.

--
Steve Barker

Chris Lewis May 9th 07 06:36 PM

Vinyl siding

According to Steve Barker :
Get started by calling the seamless steel siding guys. You'll regret the
vinyl. Everyone always does. 'course you can't tell them before they do
it.

You must have a different definition of "everyone" and "always" than
most other people.
--
Chris Lewis,

[email protected] May 9th 07 06:37 PM

Vinyl siding

First thing to do it get some information on good siding.
Meaure out the area you want to side and get the right
amount of squares. Look at the windows and doors and
get the right amount of j-channel.

The starter strip goes on the most bottom part of where you
want to side. Get a nice chalk line stapped straight and
level. From there you put the starter strip on and
go from there. If you attach it with nails or screws you
do need leave it loose about 1/8" from the wall to allow
movement.

How to cut it??/ I used a miter saw with the blade backwards.
You do not want to cut the material you want to grind it away for
clean cuts. You can also use a sharp blade or scissors to cut it.

All it in all its easy to work with.

Chris Lewis May 9th 07 07:02 PM

Vinyl siding

According to :

How to cut it??/ I used a miter saw with the blade backwards.
You do not want to cut the material you want to grind it away for
clean cuts. You can also use a sharp blade or scissors to cut it.

Aviation tinsnips work quite well. They have the leverage to
cut cleanly and accurately under control without requiring too much
grunting, cursing and swearing, and less likely to draw blood than
a knife ;-)

Not remotely as fast as a mitre saw, and you'll want to avoid
exposing many of your end cuts. But for a first-timer, it paces
things out nicely, and you don't have to get so crazy about safety
gear.

Did a 14'x14' gable end shed (9' side walls). First time with
vinyl. Two relaxing days of work. A pro with a mitre saw could
have probably done it by lunch break on the first day.

S'alright. It was a nice weekend.

Result really nice if I do say so myself.
--
Chris Lewis,

Oren May 9th 07 07:15 PM

Vinyl siding

On 9 May 2007 10:37:33 -0700, wrote:

First thing to do it get some information on good siding.
Meaure out the area you want to side and get the right
amount of squares. Look at the windows and doors and
get the right amount of j-channel.

The starter strip goes on the most bottom part of where you
want to side. Get a nice chalk line stapped straight and
level. From there you put the starter strip on and
go from there. If you attach it with nails or screws you
do need leave it loose about 1/8" from the wall to allow
movement.

How to cut it??/ I used a miter saw with the blade backwards.
You do not want to cut the material you want to grind it away for
clean cuts. You can also use a sharp blade or scissors to cut it.

All it in all its easy to work with.

I've never put up siding, but a friend was considering it, so we
looked at methods used.

Excellent comments and on target. A large set of tin snips and a
square are also recommended. I can see getting the first bottom run
right is important.

Steve Barker May 10th 07 03:00 AM

Vinyl siding

Nope, there are three kinds of vinyl siding customers.
1. those who have had problems
2. those who will have problems
3. those who won't admit they had problems.

Steve Barker

According to Steve Barker :

Edwin Pawlowski May 10th 07 03:40 AM

Vinyl siding

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Nope, there are three kinds of vinyl siding customers.
1. those who have had problems
2. those who will have problems
3. those who won't admit they had problems.

Steve Barker

I guess I'm a #2, but after 29 years so far, something just may happen
eventually.

There may be something better out there, but I'd not hesitate to do it again
based on past history.