Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kohler OHC camshaft engine timing

I have an 18 HP Kohler engine on my lawn tractor. My guess is that
it's about 10-15 years old. It is the OHC model with this information:
Family: TKH574V1G2RA
Model: TH18S
Spec: 54511
Serial: 2722303602

It was not running because of some bad gas that I put into it last
year. I broke it down to get it all cleaned up and got carried away
and pulled the pistons out to check the cylinders. When I put it back
together I did not have the special Kohler tool to set the timing. The
tool (28-761-01) to set the camshaft timing has been discontinued so I
cannot find it anywhere to buy. Does anyone out there know how to set
the timing on an engine like this? Do I need the special Kohler tool
or can I just eyeball the timing setup? The 2 cams are at the top of
the engine and I have some directions in the manual but it says to use
the tool but not how to use it so my guess is that it has it's own set
of instuctions. The local dealers are not interested in helping.

Thanks!
~cj

surging kohler 16hp tractor engine [email protected] Home Repair 12 September 23rd 06 03:58 PM
Kohler engine quirk joe Home Repair 7 June 5th 05 02:48 AM
kohler engine dies after warmed up? Clint Electronics Repair 5 April 22nd 04 05:56 AM
Help wanted in (re) assembling throttle linkage on Kohler engine [email protected] UK diy 3 July 28th 03 04:31 PM