joe

Default Kohler engine quirk

I have a Kohler cast iron 14 hp engine that this season has developed a
peculiar quirk. It is an old kohler with no oil filter and gravity feed
from the gas tank. The problem is it wants to go dead when I turn
sharply to the right or am on a hill sideways where my left side and the
left side of the mower is downhill. It didn't do this in previous
years. Any ideas?
TIA

joe

RBM wrote:

Is it a model "k" and does it have a low oil cut off switch?
"joe" wrote in message
news
I have a Kohler cast iron 14 hp engine that this season has developed a
peculiar quirk. It is an old kohler with no oil filter and gravity feed

from the gas tank. The problem is it wants to go dead when I turn sharply

to the right or am on a hill sideways where my left side and the left side
of the mower is downhill. It didn't do this in previous years. Any ideas?
TIA

yes it is a K model. the oil is not low. where is this switch? does
it cut off the elec? how can I check it?
TIA
RBM

If it has a low oil cutoff switch it would be located near the base of the
engine, threaded into the casting. Yes, it shuts off the engine. From your
description that sounds like a good place to start.
"joe" wrote in message
. ..
RBM wrote:

Is it a model "k" and does it have a low oil cut off switch?
"joe" wrote in message
news
I have a Kohler cast iron 14 hp engine that this season has developed a
peculiar quirk. It is an old kohler with no oil filter and gravity feed

from the gas tank. The problem is it wants to go dead when I turn
sharply

to the right or am on a hill sideways where my left side and the left
side of the mower is downhill. It didn't do this in previous years. Any
ideas?
TIA

yes it is a K model. the oil is not low. where is this switch? does it
cut off the elec? how can I check it?
TIA

joe

Thanks for the reply RBM. I will check that out when the sun comes up.
I have a feeling it may be fuel related though as when this happens if I
can get to the choke quick enough I can keep the engine from going dead.
Guess I should have stated this in the original post but I was fishing
for ideas. Still am.
Thanks again

m Ransley

Maybe a sticking float is not alowing the bowl to fully fill with fuel,
then it is to low for a second on turns, remove the bowl to see if it is
not moving fully, or do a real carb cleaning.

Stormin Mormon

"choke quick enough" sounds like problems with the gasket between the carb
and the engine.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus