DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kohler engine quirk (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/109429-kohler-engine-quirk.html)

joe June 5th 05 12:57 AM

Kohler engine quirk

I have a Kohler cast iron 14 hp engine that this season has developed a
peculiar quirk. It is an old kohler with no oil filter and gravity feed
from the gas tank. The problem is it wants to go dead when I turn
sharply to the right or am on a hill sideways where my left side and the
left side of the mower is downhill. It didn't do this in previous
years. Any ideas?
TIA

joe June 5th 05 01:36 AM

RBM wrote:

Is it a model "k" and does it have a low oil cut off switch?
"joe" wrote in message
. ..

I have a Kohler cast iron 14 hp engine that this season has developed a
peculiar quirk. It is an old kohler with no oil filter and gravity feed

from the gas tank. The problem is it wants to go dead when I turn sharply

to the right or am on a hill sideways where my left side and the left side
of the mower is downhill. It didn't do this in previous years. Any ideas?
TIA

yes it is a K model. the oil is not low. where is this switch? does
it cut off the elec? how can I check it?
TIA

RBM June 5th 05 02:00 AM

If it has a low oil cutoff switch it would be located near the base of the
engine, threaded into the casting. Yes, it shuts off the engine. From your
description that sounds like a good place to start.
"joe" wrote in message
. ..
RBM wrote:

Is it a model "k" and does it have a low oil cut off switch?
. ..

joe June 5th 05 02:15 AM

Thanks for the reply RBM. I will check that out when the sun comes up.
I have a feeling it may be fuel related though as when this happens if I
can get to the choke quick enough I can keep the engine from going dead.
Guess I should have stated this in the original post but I was fishing
for ideas. :) Still am. ;)
Thanks again

m Ransley June 5th 05 02:42 AM

Maybe a sticking float is not alowing the bowl to fully fill with fuel,
then it is to low for a second on turns, remove the bowl to see if it is
not moving fully, or do a real carb cleaning.

Stormin Mormon June 5th 05 02:48 AM

"choke quick enough" sounds like problems with the gasket between the carb
and the engine.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus