Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mxdoo2u@gmail.com is offline

Default Kohler OHC camshaft engine timing

On 4 May, 22:05, Andy Asberry wrote:
On 4 May 2007 07:12:50 -0700, wrote:

I have an 18 HP Kohler engine on my lawn tractor. My guess is that
it's about 10-15 years old. It is the OHC model with this information:
Family: TKH574V1G2RA
Model: TH18S
Spec: 54511
Serial: 2722303602

It was not running because of some bad gas that I put into it last
year. I broke it down to get it all cleaned up and got carried away
and pulled the pistons out to check the cylinders. When I put it back
together I did not have the special Kohler tool to set the timing. The
tool (28-761-01) to set the camshaft timing has been discontinued so I
cannot find it anywhere to buy. Does anyone out there know how to set
the timing on an engine like this? Do I need the special Kohler tool
or can I just eyeball the timing setup? The 2 cams are at the top of
the engine and I have some directions in the manual but it says to use
the tool but not how to use it so my guess is that it has it's own set
of instuctions. The local dealers are not interested in helping.

Thanks!
~cj

I believe that spec number puts that engine in a Simplicity tractor.

I'm assuming the following is the manual you have:http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.aspguest loginunder service manuals
click TP-2480 scroll to page 11-10/11/12

I think the tool only held everything in place until you wrap the belt
and set the belt tension. Probably a straight edge and some light
c-clamps would suffice. Or a helper who can follow instructions.

--Andy Asberry--

I too am up against setting the timing on a TH18 Kohler. I found the
timing tool for $35 but would like to see a picture of one. If its as
simple as 4 pins on a straight bar holding both cams in a horizontal
position than i can make one.

Does anyone have a picture? I am going to go to my nearest dealer but
am covering all bases to try and see what this "tool" looks like.

thanks.