Posted to alt.home.repair

Default surging kohler 16hp tractor engine

I have a Kohler K341 16 horse cast iron engine on a Allis 716 tractor.
I have replace the points, plug, condensor, fuel filter and put on a
brand new carb.

The tractor surges no matter what I do with the carb adjustments. I
have verified points gap is correct. Seems to be much better when
cutting grass under load--doesn't surge very much then...but it is bad
when sitting or just riding. Pulled head and found valves and cylinder
look normal. Onlyh other thing I can add is that when turning over to
start it sometimes kicks back while starting...other than that it
starts fairly easily...though it has to turn over a bit. I can see
the governer working the carb, and it seems like if I disable the
governer (unhook link) it will stall. This engine has the automatic
compression release system for easier starting as an fyi.

This has me stumped. it doesn't burn oil or smoke either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

did you reset the governor? you loosen the nut/bolt on the gov arm
(the arm on the shaft coming out of the brass nut on the engine) ,turn
the gov shaft ccw till it stops while at the same time holding the
throttle shaft on the carb wide open.then ,lock the nut/bolt . im
assuming your replacement carb is a walbro,, the high speed screw sets
at 1-1/4 turn out low speed screw 2-1/2 turns out. you can download
manual at kohlerengines.com for free. i find setting the points with
timing light as shown in manual makes engine run cooler, but .020 gap
should run ok. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
It is a Kohler carb, not the walbro (I'm positive about that). It has
a idle set screw, a low idle mixture screw and general mixture screw.
I'll look about how do do timing with a timing light...that would be
good. I thought the timing is fixed on these engines...but I'm
assuming the gap does this?

wrote:
did you reset the governor? you loosen the nut/bolt on the gov arm
(the arm on the shaft coming out of the brass nut on the engine) ,turn
the gov shaft ccw till it stops while at the same time holding the
throttle shaft on the carb wide open.then ,lock the nut/bolt . im
assuming your replacement carb is a walbro,, the high speed screw sets
at 1-1/4 turn out low speed screw 2-1/2 turns out. you can download
manual at kohlerengines.com for free. i find setting the points with
timing light as shown in manual makes engine run cooler, but .020 gap
should run ok. lucas

I just went through this with my Sear/Tecumseh. I'm fairly sure it was
triggered by the E10 gas that my favorite (read, "cheap") gas station
sell. Someone on this group suggested using Stabilizer (from Home
Depot). I don't know what that is but it improved the situation a bit.
Then I switched to high test gas plus stabilizer and things went back
to normal.

In general, you must resist the urge to fiddle with all the screws.
They didn't turn themselves so there is little reason to think you
should tighten them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, I tried turning the low idle screw out...it didn't make any
difference...I mean I almost unscrewed it completely and it was still
surging. Here's another interesting twist...I took off the air filter
(brand new and clean) and it started to stall...I hit the choke (full)
and then it runs real constant?? If I back the choke off at all it
stalls (WOT or lower idling). I do notice that there are very small
backfires and since it was dark I would see little fire/explosions
inside the carb. HELP!!!

dpb wrote:
The tractor surges no matter what I do with the carb adjustments. ...

Besides the other (valid) points/suggestions, another thing that can
cause surging is an air leak somewhere--like a loose carb mount, broken
gasket somewhere, etc, etc. As you've replaced the carb, one of the
most common has been pretty much eliminated is wear on the throttle
shaft/body, but look for any other possible places. A can of starter
fluid squirted around candidate places can be used to find infiltration
points.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never use "starting fluid" (or ether) on a small engine! If it doesn't
burn completely, it can build up in the crankcase and do incredible
damage. I prefer to use WD40. It is highly flammable, slightly oily, and
it's oiliness helps seal the rings and valve guides, so it won't get
into the crankcase as easily. It also used to be packaged with propane
and butane as propellant, which could get into the crankcase, but
usually fired better than propane and burned off completely.

Husky

dpb wrote:

The tractor surges no matter what I do with the carb adjustments. ...

Besides the other (valid) points/suggestions, another thing that can
cause surging is an air leak somewhere--like a loose carb mount, broken
gasket somewhere, etc, etc. As you've replaced the carb, one of the
most common has been pretty much eliminated is wear on the throttle
shaft/body, but look for any other possible places. A can of starter
fluid squirted around candidate places can be used to find infiltration
points.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
Never use "starting fluid" (or ether) on a small engine! If it doesn't
burn completely, it can build up in the crankcase and do incredible
damage.

Garbage. Ether isn't going to "build up in the crankcase" or anywhere else
that gets hot -- it's too volatile, and will evaporate readily.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:
Never use "starting fluid" (or ether) on a small engine! If it doesn't
burn completely, it can build up in the crankcase and do incredible
damage.

Garbage. Ether isn't going to "build up in the crankcase" or anywhere else
that gets hot -- it's too volatile, and will evaporate readily.

Thanks, Doug..

That post takes the recommendation against using ether for _starting_
small gasoline engine and expands it to a generic prohibition against a
completely different practice along w/ a couple of other
misconceptions...

To jmg, yes, ether (starting fluid) should not (at least routinely) be
used for trying to _START_ a reluctant small gasoline engine as it does
have the potential to accumulate an excessive amount and excessive
combustion pressure can occur. Even there it is certainly still a
useful diagnostic tool to quickly check spark even if don't use enough
to actually start an engine. And, just as an aside, I'll note that
even the 3-cylinder Yanmar diesel in the little JD 955 as a
proscription against ether--but the reason there is that in cool
weather it uses glow plugs, not the compression problem...

That, however, is not what I suggested--in this case the engine is
already running and all one is doing is using a small amount to try to
find an air leak by observing whether there's a change in pitch/rpm of
the engine to a minute amount being introduced through a non-desired
path (otherwise known as a "leak").

As for WD40, WD40 itself is actually not very inflammable. I'm not
sure what is the current propellant in the aerosals, but I suspect for
the most part it is the volatile component. As an example, I've used
WD40 to lubricate rusted parts, then heated them w/ a torch when they
still didn't break loose and it's rare for the WD40 to actually flare
even then--it sizzles and is burned away, but hardly ever even makes a
real flame.