Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub/Shower Surround Caulk Choice

No brainier ! Dow corning Silicone bath and tub caulk. The key to a
successful job is a super clean surface to start with.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Clean with acetone or rubbing alcohol. and single edge
razor blade white scrub pad (super soft)using glass cleaner or soapy water
as lubricant and Paper towels Use a caulking gun that releases the pressure
as soon as you let off the trigger. You do not need a large bead spread way
out everywhere
This is not a standard caulk gun. After you run your bead smooth it out with
your finger dipped in a yogurt cup solution of heavy soap solution of dish
soap and water
I suggest to practice on a scrap 90 degrees piece lumber to get thee feel
for the bead and soap
Do not try to caulk it all then smooth at once . Caulk one end vertical and
smooth Do the other smooth ,do front of tub smooth ,end of tub and smooth
side of tub. You get the picture
Works like a charm
FWIW I probably installed over 300 surrounds
Hope this helps
"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news

Just installed a 5 panel shower surround and I need to know the best
caulk to use. I've found that 100% Silicon Rubber has a propensity to peel
easily. I need something strong that will bond with the tub ledge and
shower surround. Is Acrylic Latex strong enough? How about Butyl Rubber?
If we didn't have teenagers using the shower I would just silicone it but
experience in re-caulking the old surround says not to.