Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tub surround Only, No walls

I want to install a tub surround. The tub itself is a mess but the
walls around it are fine. Can I just put a surround over the tub and
leave the walls as they are?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

If I understand the question, you want something like this to put over
the tub.

http://www.universalplastics.com/bath-sys.html

wrote:
I want to install a tub surround. The tub itself is a mess but the
walls around it are fine. Can I just put a surround over the tub and
leave the walls as they are?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Right. But I don't want to install the wall surrounds. All I want to
cover is the tub. I guess what I'm asking is, is there any reason why
the walls AND the tub both have to be covered if the walls are in good
shape? Are these systems manufactured in such a way that the walls and
tub both have to be covered.?

wrote:
I want to install a tub surround. The tub itself is a mess but the
walls around it are fine. Can I just put a surround over the tub and
leave the walls as they are?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

One would normally cover both to give it that updated look. Since
you're working there and spending money, doing both isn't too much more
of either. But no, I don't believe you have to do both, but you do
need to make sure you have a good seal between the wall and the tub.

So although it would not be required, it is probably a good idea to do
the walls, too.

wrote:
I want to install a tub surround. The tub itself is a mess but the
walls around it are fine. Can I just put a surround over the tub and
leave the walls as they are?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 9 Dec 2006 14:15:05 -0800, wrote:

Right. But I don't want to install the wall surrounds. All I want to
cover is the tub. I guess what I'm asking is, is there any reason why
the walls AND the tub both have to be covered if the walls are in good
shape? Are these systems manufactured in such a way that the walls and
tub both have to be covered.?

Yes. The tub insert is entirely separate from the wall covering.

Do you plan to do this yourself?

I didnt think to ask Bath Fitters if they would sell me the tub
without installation. (Largely because my tub is already too short,
and I don't want it any shorter. Even a half inch would be noticeable
I think, if they could make one that only used a quarter inch at each
end.)

I have a two-part epoxee I'm going to try to use to repair the damage.
If it looks worse, I can replace it then as easily as I can now. This
time I'm going to practice using the paint, wait to see how it dries,
and mix a second batch to actually do the tub.

I guess it would depend on how complicated a proper installation is
and how much they want the deal. Obviously, it's not rocket surgery,
but otoh, if there are some steps that have to be done just so, or
many steps, and they don't have instructions, they may not want to
bother writing them for you. OT3H, the only obscure thing that I can
think of is if and what they put between the new tub and the old tub.

wrote:
I want to install a tub surround. The tub itself is a mess but the
walls around it are fine. Can I just put a surround over the tub and
leave the walls as they are?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was thinking the same thing. The tub surround apparently has an edge
sticking up around it that the walls are suppose to go over. I just
wondered if this would look odd.

wrote:
I want to install a tub surround. The tub itself is a mess but the
walls around it are fine. Can I just put a surround over the tub and
leave the walls as they are?

tiling our tub surround dadiOH Home Repair 2 August 26th 05 08:46 PM
questions - tub surround [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 12th 05 10:30 PM
question - tub surround [email protected] Home Ownership 0 June 12th 05 02:09 AM
Bath Tub Surround mcp6453 Home Repair 3 October 31st 04 06:16 PM
Tub Surround Sputnik Home Repair 2 August 26th 04 01:37 AM