Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default How to re-light the pilot light on gas stove?

When I noticed the smell of gas, I discovered that the pilot light on
the Hotpoint gas stove was apparently out. (Normally, when I turn on
one of the burners, it lights. This time, it didn't light, so I assume
the pilot light is out).

I then manually lit one of the burners (using a lighter) and hoped
that it would automatically re-light the pilot light. It didn't. (When
I turned off the burner and then turned it back on again, it didn't
light).

Is there a way to lift up the top panel and access the pilot light?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"wylbur37" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I noticed the smell of gas, I discovered that the pilot light on
the Hotpoint gas stove was apparently out. (Normally, when I turn on
one of the burners, it lights. This time, it didn't light, so I assume
the pilot light is out).

Is there a way to lift up the top panel and access the pilot light?

That is the way most of them work. Have you tried pulling up on the front of
it?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On May 2, 12:16 pm, wylbur37 wrote:
When I noticed the smell of gas, I discovered that the pilot light on
the Hotpoint gas stove was apparently out. (Normally, when I turn on
one of the burners, it lights. This time, it didn't light, so I assume
the pilot light is out).

I then manually lit one of the burners (using a lighter) and hoped
that it would automatically re-light the pilot light. It didn't. (When
I turned off the burner and then turned it back on again, it didn't
light).

Is there a way to lift up the top panel and access the pilot light?

Are you sure there is a pilot light? When you turn it on does it
normally click a few times before lighting?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
CJT CJT is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"wylbur37" wrote in message
oups.com...

When I noticed the smell of gas, I discovered that the pilot light on
the Hotpoint gas stove was apparently out. (Normally, when I turn on
one of the burners, it lights. This time, it didn't light, so I assume
the pilot light is out).

Is there a way to lift up the top panel and access the pilot light?

That is the way most of them work. Have you tried pulling up on the front of
it?

By now, you've either figured it out or we can watch you on the 9:00
news. But on most of the stoves I've seen the top just lifts up, held
by only a snap catch.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

yep, raise the lid and light it.

--