Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No tub hot water, shower is fine?

We had a home inspection done yesterday and the inspector said that we
needed a new coil in our tank-less system. He based this on the fact
he could not draw a full tub of hot water. The problem with this is
we can take hot shower after hot shower. I mean I can stay in there
for 15 min and then my wife can take a shower right afterwards and be
fine. In fact we have taken as many as 4 showers in a row, 2 with
teenagers, no problem. But the water coming out of the tub faucet is
barely lukewarm. It is a Thermatrol valve, could that be the
problem. The water tested hot at the kitchen faucet.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

jtpr wrote:
We had a home inspection done yesterday and the inspector said that we
needed a new coil in our tank-less system. He based this on the fact
he could not draw a full tub of hot water. The problem with this is
we can take hot shower after hot shower. I mean I can stay in there
for 15 min and then my wife can take a shower right afterwards and be
fine. In fact we have taken as many as 4 showers in a row, 2 with
teenagers, no problem. But the water coming out of the tub faucet is
barely lukewarm. It is a Thermatrol valve, could that be the
problem. The water tested hot at the kitchen faucet.

Thanks,
Jim

I would guess your current heater was properly sized for the shower but
not for the volume used for the tub. You could also run into a problem if
one of you was using the shower and someone wanted to wash dishes.

My personal suggestion is don't worry about it unless you find you have
a problem. If it is providing the hot water that you desire, it does not
need to be corrected.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
We had a home inspection done yesterday and the inspector said that we
needed a new coil in our tank-less system. He based this on the fact
he could not draw a full tub of hot water. The problem with this is
we can take hot shower after hot shower. I mean I can stay in there
for 15 min and then my wife can take a shower right afterwards and be
fine. In fact we have taken as many as 4 showers in a row, 2 with
teenagers, no problem. But the water coming out of the tub faucet is
barely lukewarm. It is a Thermatrol valve, could that be the
problem. The water tested hot at the kitchen faucet.

Showers do use less gallons per minute than filling a tub so it is
possible that the heater is not keeping up. What about other faucets such
as the kitchen or bathroom sink? Check them out first.

Yes, it is possible the Thermotrol valve is not working properly also.