Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Home checklist for extended travel?

We will be embarking on a three-month trip this summer, leaving my
home vacant during those months. I had a couple of questions on
readying the home for our absence.

I've read some websites that said you should turn the hot water heater
off (by this I assume they mean shut off the gas, thereby
extinguishing the pilot), others that said to just turn it down to the
lowest setting. Any pros/cons for doing one, but not the other? The
"setting it to the lowest setting" option sounds best to me because to
relight the pilot you have to take apart the front contraption and
all, and I am not the most handy person g.

I was planning on shutting off the water (there's a valve outside
where the waterline comes in), as well as turning off the power at the
fuse box. Any reason for not taking these two steps?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

Scott Mitchell wrote:
We will be embarking on a three-month trip this summer, leaving my
home vacant during those months. I had a couple of questions on
readying the home for our absence.

I've read some websites that said you should turn the hot water heater
off (by this I assume they mean shut off the gas, thereby
extinguishing the pilot), others that said to just turn it down to the
lowest setting. Any pros/cons for doing one, but not the other? The
"setting it to the lowest setting" option sounds best to me because to
relight the pilot you have to take apart the front contraption and
all, and I am not the most handy person g.

I was planning on shutting off the water (there's a valve outside
where the waterline comes in), as well as turning off the power at the
fuse box. Any reason for not taking these two steps?

Thanks!

Turn the water heater to pilot, turn off the water. Put stoppers in the
kitchen sinks and close the stoppers in the other sinks to slow the drying
of the P-traps. Empty the fridge, make sure the ice maker is in the off
position. Unplug the water softener and anything else that might run
unattended while away.

Happy travels, Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

On Apr 30, 5:38 pm, "Rich" wrote:
Scott Mitchell wrote:
[...]

Happy travels, Rich- Hide quoted text -

For 3 months why risk anything, turn off gas and water at mains.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

On Apr 30, 7:04?pm, ransley wrote:
On Apr 30, 5:38 pm, "Rich" wrote:

Scott Mitchell wrote:
[...]

For 3 months why risk anything, turn off gas and water at mains.- Hide quoted text -

get someone to cut grass, pickup stuff in yard, and give the house a
lived in look. have them make a outgoing call now and then to show the
house isnt vacant.and check things move shades drapes etc. animals can
get in and make a mess, having a trusted friend or neighbor do a walk
thru is really important

a completely vacant home is at great risk of being broken in or set on
fire. insurance can ds own you if a disaster occurs

a security system that calls the police is probably a good idea, at
least put up signs now saying protected by XXX security.

do turn off water and gas, leave power on with some lights and perhaps
a radio on timers

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

Your insurance company may be upset if you are away for more than a
month, if it is a permanent resident. That being said, consider the
following:

Turn off water, and power to hot water heater, stove, dryer, major
appliances except for refrigerator.

Remove any perishables from refrigerator, in case you have a prolonged
power outage.

Arrange for mail forwarding (1 month max, for holding mail - USPS
regs.)

Get the lawn mowed, and make sure they do a nice job of it.

If winter, drain hot water heater, after turning power off (quick heat
systems will self-destruct if no water in tank). Work as much water
out of traps in commodes as possible, and put in some anti-freeze.
Ditto with sink drains.

If at all possible, get a friend to check up on the place
periodically.

Check your answering machine from time to time, and remove any
messages. Don't have a message that says "I'm out of town, or on
vacation."

Lights on a timer are said to be a good idea, but no experience there.
Make sure that valuables, firearms, etc., are secure and well out of
sight.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

On 30 Apr 2007 15:20:27 -0700, Scott Mitchell
wrote:

We will be embarking on a three-month trip this summer, leaving my
home vacant during those months. I had a couple of questions on
readying the home for our absence.

I've read some websites that said you should turn the hot water heater
off (by this I assume they mean shut off the gas, thereby
extinguishing the pilot), others that said to just turn it down to the
lowest setting. Any pros/cons for doing one, but not the other? The
"setting it to the lowest setting" option sounds best to me because to
relight the pilot you have to take apart the front contraption and
all, and I am not the most handy person g.

I was planning on shutting off the water (there's a valve outside
where the waterline comes in), as well as turning off the power at the
fuse box. Any reason for not taking these two steps?

Thanks!

It may depend on where you live. For example, I have no
problems with freezing temperatures.

A few points to consider.

I turn off the hot water heater (electric) and switch off
all lights bar one. I put a timer switch on a standard lamp
to give passers by the impression that the house may be
occupied occasionally. When I owned a house with a gas HWS
some years ago I left the pilot light on but turned off the
system. Re-lighting the pilot on some heaters can be a real
PITA. I don't see a need to actually shut off the water,
unless you are worrying about bursting pipes or leaks. Just
remember that you're going to have to wait for about 45
minutes for a shower when you come home.

Empty every scrap of food out of your fridge and freezer if
you can. Defrost them and leave the doors ajar. If that
isn't possible then at least get rid of the perishable items
in the fridge. You don't really want to come home to a green
alien in the fridge and you won't know if there was a
prolonged power failure causing all the frozen food to thaw
and refreeze after spoiling. Also check on other perishables
out of the fridge - potatoes, fruits etc.

Insurance varies from country to country and state to state.
Check your insurance policy if you're going to be more than
one day over three months. Mine requires someone to occupy
the house at least for one night every 90 days or the
insurance lapses. On my five-month trip I fixed this by
letting it as a holiday rental for a couple of weeks; on my
second trip, just over three months, I obtained a letter of
approval from the insurance company. If they had not agreed,
I had a relative on stand-by to spend a night.

I change my phone to allow only 000 outgoing calls (probably
911 to you) so that if someone is in the house (approved by
you or otherwise) they can ring the fire brigade but not
their relatives in Germany.

A few security points, maybe they don't apply to you.
Arrange for mail re-direction and also for someone to clear
junk mail and free newspapers, otherwise your mailbox or
front yard will scream out "vacant" to all who pass. If you
have a neighbour you trust, ask them to keep a friendly eye
on the place but also let them know if you have given
permission to a friend or relative to enter the place. We
advise the local police of our planned absence and give then
our contact details.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Athens and The Adriatic
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

Scott Mitchell wrote:
We will be embarking on a three-month trip this summer, leaving my
home vacant during those months. I had a couple of questions on
readying the home for our absence.

I've read some websites that said you should turn the hot water heater
off (by this I assume they mean shut off the gas, thereby
extinguishing the pilot), others that said to just turn it down to the
lowest setting. Any pros/cons for doing one, but not the other? The
"setting it to the lowest setting" option sounds best to me because to
relight the pilot you have to take apart the front contraption and
all, and I am not the most handy person g.

I was planning on shutting off the water (there's a valve outside
where the waterline comes in), as well as turning off the power at the
fuse box. Any reason for not taking these two steps?

What type of TV's do you have? Do you have a lot of valuables?

What's your address?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

[...]

We don't have any problem with freezing temperatures either. We live
in Southern California and will be traveling during the summer months.

We live in a condominium of seven units, and the neighboring units
where you walk by others' front-doors/windows to get to the trash or
to the street or to parking. So if something happens - a break-in, for
instance - it would be noted rather quickly, I'd think. And we've let
a couple of our trusted neighbors know of our trip and schedule and
provided them with house and mail keys and contact information. Also,
crime is very low in our neighborhood, mostly just stealing from cars
parked on the street. (Our car will be in the garage the entire
duration, which is part of the building and only accessible if you
have a garage door opener.)

When I owned a house with a gas HWS
some years ago I left the pilot light on but turned off the
system. Re-lighting the pilot on some heaters can be a real
PITA.

Thanks for the advice, I'll simple turn the setting to low.

I don't see a need to actually shut off the water,
unless you are worrying about bursting pipes or leaks. Just
remember that you're going to have to wait for about 45
minutes for a shower when you come home.

Well, I guess my only concern was that what if a laundry hose springs
a leak, or something. As aforementioned, temperatures will be in the
60s-80s throughout our trip, so freezing pipes is not an issue.

Empty every scrap of food out of your fridge and freezer if
you can. Defrost them and leave the doors ajar. If that
isn't possible then at least get rid of the perishable items
in the fridge. You don't really want to come home to a green
alien in the fridge and you won't know if there was a
prolonged power failure causing all the frozen food to thaw
and refreeze after spoiling. Also check on other perishables
out of the fridge - potatoes, fruits etc.

Agreed, we were planning on unplugging the fridge.

Insurance varies from country to country and state to state.
Check your insurance policy if you're going to be more than
one day over three months. Mine requires someone to occupy
the house at least for one night every 90 days or the
insurance lapses. On my five-month trip I fixed this by
letting it as a holiday rental for a couple of weeks; on my
second trip, just over three months, I obtained a letter of
approval from the insurance company. If they had not agreed,
I had a relative on stand-by to spend a night.

Good point, I didn't think of this or realize that this might be an
issue. I'll talk to my insurance agent promptly.

A few security points, maybe they don't apply to you.
Arrange for mail re-direction and also for someone to clear
junk mail and free newspapers, otherwise your mailbox or
front yard will scream out "vacant" to all who pass. If you
have a neighbour you trust, ask them to keep a friendly eye
on the place but also let them know if you have given
permission to a friend or relative to enter the place. We
advise the local police of our planned absence and give then
our contact details.

Got these things arranged.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:51:36 -0400, Oly Jay wrote:

Scott Mitchell wrote:
We will be embarking on a three-month trip this summer, leaving my
home vacant during those months. I had a couple of questions on
readying the home for our absence.

I've read some websites that said you should turn the hot water heater
off (by this I assume they mean shut off the gas, thereby
extinguishing the pilot), others that said to just turn it down to the
lowest setting. Any pros/cons for doing one, but not the other? The
"setting it to the lowest setting" option sounds best to me because to
relight the pilot you have to take apart the front contraption and
all, and I am not the most handy person g.

I was planning on shutting off the water (there's a valve outside
where the waterline comes in), as well as turning off the power at the
fuse box. Any reason for not taking these two steps?

Do you have a sump pump? If so, it might not be a good idea to cut
the power.

Hot climate in the summer? A sealed up house should have a minimal
level of air conditioning. (Set thermostats to 85F or so, just in
case) if you have central air.

Cold climate in the winter? Consider freezing pipes (water pipes,
drain pipes, sewer pipes). You don't really want your house to go
below 45F for long periods of time.

Best to have a trusted neighbor check your house every 3 days or so.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Alan S" wrote

Insurance varies from country to country and state to state.
Check your insurance policy if you're going to be more than
one day over three months.

Just a word of advice ... check your policy, don't call the
insurance company. I didn't know, and when I called about my
inlaw's house that was going to be vacant for a time, they wanted
to cancel the policy immediately, or charge some outrageous amount
to cover a vacant house.

That could be one phone call you regret.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

On Tue, 1 May 2007 08:24:13 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote

Insurance varies from country to country and state to state.
Check your insurance policy if you're going to be more than
one day over three months.

Just a word of advice ... check your policy, don't call the
insurance company. I didn't know, and when I called about my
inlaw's house that was going to be vacant for a time, they wanted
to cancel the policy immediately, or charge some outrageous amount
to cover a vacant house.

That could be one phone call you regret.

nancy

I don't doubt it's possible. Didin't happen to me - but
different state and different country.

I hope your next few calls were for quotes from other
insurers to changeover to.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Athens and The Adriatic
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Alan S" wrote

On Tue, 1 May 2007 08:24:13 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote

Insurance varies from country to country and state to state.
Check your insurance policy if you're going to be more than
one day over three months.

Just a word of advice ... check your policy, don't call the
insurance company. I didn't know, and when I called about my
inlaw's house that was going to be vacant for a time, they wanted
to cancel the policy immediately, or charge some outrageous amount
to cover a vacant house.

That could be one phone call you regret.

I don't doubt it's possible. Didin't happen to me - but
different state and different country.

The different country might be the key. I have all the insurance
books, took all the tests, think I would have remembered the
vacancy thing.

I hope your next few calls were for quotes from other
insurers to changeover to.

I convinced them to give some old people a break and not
put it into the system.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

On 30 Apr 2007 16:38:50 -0700, professorpaul
wrote:

If winter, drain hot water heater, after turning power off (quick heat
systems will self-destruct if no water in tank). Work as much water
out of traps in commodes as possible, and put in some anti-freeze.
Ditto with sink drains.

Avoid Anti-Freeze!!

Instead use vegetable oil in p-traps.

One tip I heard for the toilets was to cover the top of the bowl with
saran-wrap to reduce evaporation. If you take the water out I suspect
gases will enter the house.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

Lights on a timer are said to be a good idea, but no experience there.

They are. I've set one to come on at dusk and to go off, say at
midnight. Then one set in another room to come on a few hours before
dawn - then off. A third one can turn a small radio on. I think is
really helps to make the house seem lived in.

BTW, disconnect power to computer, monitor, etc. Check security of
windows and sliding doors.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

Alan S.:
Insurance varies from country to country and state to state.
Check your insurance policy if you're going to be more than
one day over three months.

Nancy Young:
Just a word of advice ... check your policy, don't call the
insurance company. I didn't know, and when I called about my
inlaw's house that was going to be vacant for a time, they wanted
to cancel the policy immediately, or charge some outrageous amount
to cover a vacant house.

That could be one phone call you regret.

Just a word of advice... don't try to trick your insurance company
and think your coverage is still valid.
--
Mark Brader | "If communication becomes impossible, it is expected that
Toronto | both parties will... notify the other that communication
| has become impossible..." --memo to university staff

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

If winter, drain hot water heater, after turning power off (quick heat
systems will self-destruct if no water in tank). Work as much water
out of traps in commodes as possible, and put in some anti-freeze.
Ditto with sink drains.

Avoid Anti-Freeze!!

Instead use vegetable oil in p-traps.

I second that. Few spoonfulls for sinks and some more to your toilet
will do.

One tip I heard for the toilets was to cover the top of the bowl with
saran-wrap to reduce evaporation. If you take the water out I suspect
gases will enter the house.

No need to do that. Just use vegetable oil

One more thing. Have a neighbor or friend keep his car in your
driveway from time to time.

Mika

Haluatko lähettää postia? Vaihda osoitteen
eka (vai oliko se toka?) numero viisi numeroon
kahdeksan...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

Instead use vegetable oil in p-traps.

A plumber once told me that if a house will be unoccuped for 6 months
or more -- and yes I know the original poster won't be gone that long
-- that it's wise to have someone flush the toilets and use the sinks
periodically to prevent buildup of rust and corrosion. Does anyone
know if that was good advice?

James

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

On May 1, 4:27?pm, wrote:
Instead use vegetable oil in p-traps.

A plumber once told me that if a house will be unoccuped for 6 months
or more -- and yes I know the original poster won't be gone that long
-- that it's wise to have someone flush the toilets and use the sinks
periodically to prevent buildup of rust and corrosion. Does anyone
know if that was good advice?

James

yeah the crud in sewer lines congeals and turns to rock when dried out
too long. come time to put back in use the old crud causes stopped up
lines. I have seen it myself

If you have any home sit for a extended period empty its a good idea
to have the sewers snaked espically if the lines are terracota or cast
iron.

If your home sits empty for over a month and has a disaster your
homeowners company may disown you. Yoiu may be better off having
someone stay at your home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree. Less is more and volunteering information is not a good idea in
these matters. If you are within the parameters of your policy, there is
no need for contrition...

As for the winter vacation sorts., other than to keep the pipes from
freezing, why would one want to keep their house at 45 degrees..?

If you can winterize your plumbing, wouldn't that be a better option
(less costly)...?

CP

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Mark Brader" wrote

Alan S.:
Insurance varies from country to country and state to state.
Check your insurance policy if you're going to be more than
one day over three months.

Nancy Young:
Just a word of advice ... check your policy, don't call the
insurance company. I didn't know, and when I called about my
inlaw's house that was going to be vacant for a time, they wanted
to cancel the policy immediately, or charge some outrageous amount
to cover a vacant house.

That could be one phone call you regret.

Just a word of advice... don't try to trick your insurance company
and think your coverage is still valid.

Nobody said anything about tricking. I said Read your policy,
don't go calling them up and giving them an opening to cancel you
or raise your rates with what you think is an innocent question.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

Nancy Young:
Just a word of advice ... check your policy, don't call the
insurance company. I didn't know, and when I called about my
inlaw's house that was going to be vacant for a time, they wanted
to cancel the policy immediately, or charge some outrageous amount
to cover a vacant house.

Mark Brader:
Just a word of advice... don't try to trick your insurance company
and think your coverage is still valid.

Nancy Young:
Nobody said anything about tricking. I said Read your policy,
don't go calling them up and giving them an opening to cancel you
or raise your rates with what you think is an innocent question.

If they want to cancel the policy or "charge some outrageous amount",
that would imply that you don't have coverage for the situation you're
asking about. Unless of course *they're* trying to trick or cheat *you*,
or their people are incompetent, in either of which cases you probably
want to change insurers anyway.
--
Mark Brader | "...it's a characteristic ... of organizations that try
Toronto | to anticipate every possible failu they easily
| come to believe that they *have*..." --Henry Spencer

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Mark Brader" wrote

Nancy Young:
[...]

The state of home owners insurance coverage is not what it used to
be. Best to read the policy and take whatever steps to avoid voiding
your policy, it might be as simple as asking someone to live in your
house for a couple of days, or come home a day early.

nancy