TC

Default Extended nipples

I recently bought a wall-mounted bath mixer. At the rear there's a
3/4" female thread into which fits a male-threaded tube which, after a
dog-leg, reduces to 1/2" to take a tap-connector. On the wall side is
a conical chromed escutcheon to neaten the tap-wall interface.

The problem is that with the escutcheons fitted, the end of the
feed-nipples only just poke through the back of the wall (plasterboard
+ tiles), leaving no room for the tap-connector.

The interim solution was to make some longer 3/4" nipples by sawing
off the tails of an old tap. But while protruding enough to allow the
tap-connectors to be fitted, there's still not enough depth to fit the
escutcheons.

The solution would be to get some nipples about 3" long but I can't
find any. Does anyone know if they exist, and if so who does them?

I wish my walls were 3mm thick. Then there'd be no problem. I have
thought of cutting away some plasterboard so as to efectively hang the
tap only on the tile but that doesn't sound too good for the tile.

TIA,

TC.

wanderer

"TC" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:27:16 +0100, "wanderer"
wrote:

"TC" wrote in message
.. .

snip

The solution would be to get some nipples about 3" long but I can't
find any. Does anyone know if they exist, and if so who does them?

BES do them, 'barrel nipples'

http://tinyurl.com/h539

Ah, yes. I'd found those before but I wasn't sure about using
galvanized fittings (I suppose they'd be OK as brass contains lots of
zinc) and the lengths aren't given. The pics make them look a little
too short.

Did you have good look around on the site? They do quite a selection of
lengths. I happened to see 3" and 4" when I took a quick look. I think it's
possible to get chromed extension pieces, I think for radiators, but I can't
remember if they're available in 3/4" BSP.

I happened to come across them when I was looking to do a straight through
the wall mounting for a bib cock a few weeks ago, until I happened to find a
wall flange with brazed back pipe intended for the job.

John Stumbles

"wanderer" wrote in message
"TC" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:27:16 +0100, "wanderer"
wrote:

"TC" wrote in message
.. .

snip

[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and where did you find those?

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Alan James

"TC" wrote in message
I recently bought a wall-mounted bath mixer. At the rear there's a
3/4" female thread into which fits a male-threaded tube which, after a
dog-leg, reduces to 1/2" to take a tap-connector. On the wall side is
a conical chromed escutcheon to neaten the tap-wall interface.

The problem is that with the escutcheons fitted, the end of the
feed-nipples only just poke through the back of the wall (plasterboard
+ tiles), leaving no room for the tap-connector.

The interim solution was to make some longer 3/4" nipples by sawing
off the tails of an old tap. But while protruding enough to allow the
tap-connectors to be fitted, there's still not enough depth to fit the
escutcheons.

The solution would be to get some nipples about 3" long but I can't
find any. Does anyone know if they exist, and if so who does them?

Reminded by the talk of BES that I've had this problem a couple of times
doing Screwfix bar showers. First advice, throw away the dog leg thingies.
First time I didn't have much depth behind and used an end feed to BSP male
adapter. Think I used a reducing adapter as someone else was paying but the
reducing adapters are silly prices. At the time I wanted a parallel thread
but can't see that in the catalogue so I assume I used a taper thread
adapter. Don't recall this being a problem. Second time I used a
compression to BSP parallel male and a separate reducer. All depends on how
much room you have behind and the access to the pipes.

Alan

Owain

MJ wrote
| Am I the only one who came here in search of titillation
| and was disappointed?

You really should try to keep abreast of the sorts of things discussed on
this ng.

Owain