Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint brand recommendation?

I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have
to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

Pella says to choose a paint with good blocking resistance.
I know what that is because I read about it in Consumer Reports
years ago.

Thing is, even if I could track down the article, the results would
hardly be applicable after all these years.

Can someone out there recommend a brand known for low blocking?
Something I could find easily? When I look at manufacturer's sites,
I don't see them bragging about their blocking resistance.

Appreciate any help you can give me. I have to get this right.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..
I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have
to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

Pella says to choose a paint with good blocking resistance.
I know what that is because I read about it in Consumer Reports
years ago.

Thing is, even if I could track down the article, the results would
hardly be applicable after all these years.

Can someone out there recommend a brand known for low blocking?
Something I could find easily? When I look at manufacturer's sites,
I don't see them bragging about their blocking resistance.

Appreciate any help you can give me. I have to get this right.

nancy

Open the phone book and find a store that sells either Devoe, or
Martin-Senour ProLine paints. In this newsgroup, you'll read where some
people had good experiences with the more popular brands, like
Sherwin-Williams, and others had less than satisfactory results. But, you
will never hear complaints about the two brands I mentioned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:49:22 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have
to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

Pella says to choose a paint with good blocking resistance.
I know what that is because I read about it in Consumer Reports
years ago.

Thing is, even if I could track down the article, the results would
hardly be applicable after all these years.

Can someone out there recommend a brand known for low blocking?
Something I could find easily? When I look at manufacturer's sites,
I don't see them bragging about their blocking resistance.

Appreciate any help you can give me. I have to get this right.

nancy

Without knowing it, you have voided your warranty at the install.
Interior wood by some makers give X number of hours/days to finish the
trim inside.

What "blocking"?

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have
to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

Can someone out there recommend a brand known for low blocking?
Something I could find easily? When I look at manufacturer's sites,
I don't see them bragging about their blocking resistance.

Appreciate any help you can give me. I have to get this right.

Open the phone book and find a store that sells either Devoe, or
Martin-Senour ProLine paints. In this newsgroup, you'll read where some
people had good experiences with the more popular brands, like
Sherwin-Williams, and others had less than satisfactory results. But, you
will never hear complaints about the two brands I mentioned.

Thanks very much. I see I will have to make a drive for either of
those brands, but not too bad.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have
to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

I apologize. These are "yesterday".

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

wrote:

I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have
to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

Pella says to choose a paint with good blocking resistance.

Without knowing it, you have voided your warranty at the install.
Interior wood by some makers give X number of hours/days to finish the
trim inside.

Ahhh, they haven't even finished the install and I'm out of warranty!
Actually, it says if you can't get to it right away, essentially don't let
it get wet.

What "blocking"?

I stole the following definition from some website. If I had
to describe it, it's that some paints stay tackier than others.
Like when you open a door and you can hear the paint sticking.

The ability of a material to resist sticking due to one or more of the
effects of
temperature, pressure or relative humidity.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Here's a simple rule: Look at what the paint manufacturer says is the number
of hours to wait before recoating. Multiply that by 3, even under ideal
conditions. The recommendations are fantasies. Same for total cure time.
This is why the best way to paint doors and windows is to remove them,
replace with something temporary (like sheets of plywood cut to size), and
paint them indoors where you can control the temperature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

wrote:

[...]

Given my options with new interior wood (windows) I would maybe stain
with a light color too help seal the wood and perhaps paint later.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:37:58 -0400, "Nancy Young"

"Oren" wrote

wrote:

[...]

Hmm. I've been kicking around finding some kind of primer to at
least hit the parts that might get wet, as I am not going to be able
to pick up the paint until Saturday morning.

Thanks. nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"Oren" wrote

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:37:58 -0400, "Nancy Young"

"Oren" wrote

wrote:

[...]

Whattya mean, "kicking around finding"? Use whatever's around the house from
some previous project?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

Hmm. I've been kicking around finding some kind of primer to at
least hit the parts that might get wet, as I am not going to be able
to pick up the paint until Saturday morning.

Whattya mean, "kicking around finding"? Use whatever's around the house
from some previous project?

Heh. That I could actually do, but I mean finding primer paint
at a local store. I would like to be able to keep my windows
open during the upcoming week without worrying about rain.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:16:18 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:37:58 -0400, "Nancy Young"

"Oren" wrote

wrote:

[...]

Explain; "the parts that might get wet".

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Blocking refers to how "sticky" a paint is, especially in humid weather. I
assume they don't want their door to get stuck to the weatherstripping.

For interior enamel, I almost always use an oil-base, like Ben Moore's Satin
Impervo. Put a Zinsser "BIN" primer underneath, and you won't have a
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Forgot to include that with oil-base, blocking is not an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote

For interior enamel, I almost always use an oil-base, like Ben Moore's
Satin Impervo. Put a Zinsser "BIN" primer underneath, and you won't have
a problem.

Thanks! I'll be starting with the Zinsser.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

wrote:

Hmm. I've been kicking around finding some kind of primer to at
least hit the parts that might get wet, as I am not going to be able
to pick up the paint until Saturday morning.

Explain; "the parts that might get wet".

What would get wet if I left the window open and it starts
to rain.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:49:22 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

Can someone out there recommend a brand known for low blocking?
Something I could find easily?

As somebody else on this thread said, use an oil base paint rather than a
latex and you should not have any blocking problems.

That's why oil base is recommended for shelving-things won't stick to the
shelves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have
to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

Without knowing it, you have voided your warranty at the install.
Interior wood by some makers give X number of hours/days to finish the
trim inside.

All of the door manufacturers own spy satellites that they use to see if
their doors have been painted within X number of hours/days. That's how
they know if the warranty has been voided.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Blocking refers to how "sticky" a paint is, especially in humid weather.
I assume they don't want their door to get stuck to the weatherstripping.

For interior enamel, I almost always use an oil-base, like Ben Moore's
Satin Impervo. Put a Zinsser "BIN" primer underneath, and you won't have
a problem.

True, but it is getting harder to find oil based. I read that it is no
longer sold in California.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

Hmm. I've been kicking around finding some kind of primer to at
least hit the parts that might get wet, as I am not going to be able
to pick up the paint until Saturday morning.

Whattya mean, "kicking around finding"? Use whatever's around the house
from some previous project?

Heh. That I could actually do, but I mean finding primer paint
at a local store. I would like to be able to keep my windows
open during the upcoming week without worrying about rain.

nancy

Nancy, it sounds like this project wasn't coordinated correctly. Can you
take a little time off from work and go get the right paint sooner than
Saturday?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Forgot to include that with oil-base, blocking is not an issue.

Wanna bet? The knucklehead who painted the apartment I lived in managed to
create quite a blocking issue with all the doors. He painted when it was
about 55 degrees in the apartment. The doors never stopped sticking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:
I had new windows installed yesterday. Yay. Now I have
to paint the unfinished wood (interior only).

Pella says to choose a paint with good blocking resistance.
I know what that is because I read about it in Consumer Reports
years ago.

Thing is, even if I could track down the article, the results would
hardly be applicable after all these years.

Can someone out there recommend a brand known for low blocking?
Something I could find easily? When I look at manufacturer's sites,
I don't see them bragging about their blocking resistance.

Appreciate any help you can give me. I have to get this right.

nancy

Dunn Edwards "perma series" is excellent for this. You can look at
their web site, I think they play that feature up quite a bit if I
remember. It's their top of the line so it is pretty pricy.

--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

Heh. That I could actually do, but I mean finding primer paint
at a local store. I would like to be able to keep my windows
open during the upcoming week without worrying about rain.

Nancy, it sounds like this project wasn't coordinated correctly. Can you
take a little time off from work and go get the right paint sooner than
Saturday?

Well, it would have been nice if someone had told me ahead
of time, that I would want to paint right away. Of course I
would have been prepared.

As for taking time out of my busy schedule (ha) to drive into the
next state to pick up paint, if someone can tell me why my car is
all of a sudden not firing on all plugs, I'd go. I wonder if I have a
cracked distributer cap because it happened so suddenly. But that
is another story for another day. Meanwhile, I'm happy to get some
prime on there.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Presumably, you have already addressed the vehicle using every obscenity you
can come up with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Ross" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

Can someone out there recommend a brand known for low blocking?
Something I could find easily? When I look at manufacturer's sites,
I don't see them bragging about their blocking resistance.

Dunn Edwards "perma series" is excellent for this. You can look at
their web site, I think they play that feature up quite a bit if I
remember. It's their top of the line so it is pretty pricy.

The cost of a can of paint isn't the place to cut corners, in my
opinion, especially after laying out the money for the windows.
Interesting site, thanks, though their paint is not sold anywhere
near me, since I don't live on the west coast.

I liked their bit on blocking:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/38ohxo

or

http://www.dunnedwards.com/retail/co...Fid=3&m ode=1

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

As for taking time out of my busy schedule (ha) to drive into the
next state to pick up paint, if someone can tell me why my car is
all of a sudden not firing on all plugs, I'd go. I wonder if I have a
cracked distributer cap because it happened so suddenly. But that
is another story for another day. Meanwhile, I'm happy to get some
prime on there.

Presumably, you have already addressed the vehicle using every obscenity
you can come up with.

I love my car. It's been a champ all these years. I should spring for
a distributer cap, wires and plugs. Been a very long time since I've
worked on a car engine and my confidence isn't high. Sigh. If I was
sure that was the problem ...

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Well, its owner isn't firing on all cylinders, either.

Heh heh. Me make a funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

I love my car. It's been a champ all these years. I should spring for
a distributer cap, wires and plugs. Been a very long time since I've
worked on a car engine and my confidence isn't high. Sigh. If I was
sure that was the problem ...

Well, its owner isn't firing on all cylinders, either.

Heh heh. Me make a funny.

(laugh) I walked into that one.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:06:06 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

Explain; "the parts that might get wet".

What would get wet if I left the window open and it starts
to rain.

nancy

Smack me in the head!

We might 300 days without rain in the Mojave Desert and this went over
the head.
--
Oren