WbSearch

Default TV Brand Recommendation

Am finally replacing my 20 yr old TV due to incompatibility with my VCR, shop
advises repair cost outweighs practability.
Does anyone have advice of TV brands not to consider? The major brand names I
am somewhat familiar with, but there are many names I have not heard of prior
to shopping. I am in the US. Thanks in advance.
Patch

"WbSearch" wrote in message
Am finally replacing my 20 yr old TV due to incompatibility with my VCR,

shop
advises repair cost outweighs practability.
Does anyone have advice of TV brands not to consider? The major brand

names I
am somewhat familiar with, but there are many names I have not heard of

prior
to shopping. I am in the US. Thanks in advance.

Check with your local TV Tech. He knows which ones are junk. (most are) Or
buy a copy of Consumer Reports. Japanese made stuff is still pretty good.

A E

WbSearch wrote:

Am finally replacing my 20 yr old TV due to incompatibility with my VCR, shop
advises repair cost outweighs practability.
Does anyone have advice of TV brands not to consider? The major brand names I
am somewhat familiar with, but there are many names I have not heard of prior
to shopping. I am in the US. Thanks in advance.

Tough one. Since you kept your TV for 20 years, I assume you're the type of person
who buys once, for the long term. You didn't say how big the TV was, though.
Really, right now, I'd buy a 21 inch CRT computer monitor with an external tuner
box.
Why? Because you can get dirt cheap 21 inch monitors and they are likely to be
better than a TV of the same price.
Also, when HDTV hits, you have a 21 inch computer monitor, not a paperweight.
Just my opinion. It's just that I don't think you'll be able to buy a NTSC set
that will last 20 years anymore anyways.

Jerry G.

For watching TV in my living room I find a 20 inch display to be much
too small. But, you have a valid point for someone who wants only a 20
inch set.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
"A E" wrote in message

WbSearch wrote:

[...]

WbSearch

Apologise I forgot to mention that I am lookinig at 25 - 27 inch sets. What is
the situation with HDTV? Will regular broadcast be obsolete soon and I should
only consider HDTV? All I really want is stereo, remote with RCA for VCR
inputs, nothing fancy.

Sofie

WbSearch:
If you don't want anything "fancy" then don't pay the extra big bucks for
HDTV yet..... wait for the product to mature and the prices to come down.
The good news is that you can use whatever new analog television you
purchase for a long time to come.... eventually you may need a converter box
much like the cable boxes we all had decades ago...... also because of the
eventual digital conversion, the prices of larger screen, full feature
analog sets is at an all time low..... great time to buy and enjoy.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"WbSearch" wrote in message
Apologise I forgot to mention that I am lookinig at 25 - 27 inch sets.

What is
the situation with HDTV? Will regular broadcast be obsolete soon and I

should
only consider HDTV? All I really want is stereo, remote with RCA for VCR
inputs, nothing fancy.

LASERandDVDfan

Does anyone have advice of TV brands not to consider?

Buy only Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Sharp, Hitachi, or Proton.

I am particularly fond of Sony as I am a firm believer in Trinitron, but the
others are very good and will cost less with comparable features.

Don't consider the rest, particularly RCA, Philips, GE, Apex, Magnavox, Funai,
Sylvania, and all the others. - Reinhart
Steve Reinis

Default Sharp TV Quality?

I have a 1995 model Sharp 27" TV that was purchased new in 1995 and while
it's not loaded with features and the stereo sound leaves a lot to be
desired, it has a picture that just amazes me. I'm not about to swivel the
thing around to get th emodel/chassic at this moment.

I'm I tend to be very picky when it comes to CRT image quality since I
sit in front of two 21" computer monitors all day and work with various
others ranging from cheap **** to nicer Sun/SGI stuff.

This Sharp has just very rich, vibrant colors, great geometry, and damned
near perfect convergence all over the screen. No artifacts in the video,
very clear image. Never has it been in for repair, but lately I've noticed
that the picture starts to *slightly* *expand* when the A/C kicks on and the
lights dim for a second. I suspect it's just capacitors getting weak
because the image is rock solid all other times - even during high contrast
scene changes.

Anyhow, how often do you repair folks see Sharp TVs in for repair when
they've failed on their own (Not lightning, physical damage, etc). I have
really been impressed with the durability of this rather cheap set.

Just curious,
-Steve

LASERandDVDfan wrote in message
Does anyone have advice of TV brands not to consider?

Buy only Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Sharp, Hitachi, or Proton.

I am particularly fond of Sony as I am a firm believer in Trinitron, but

the
others are very good and will cost less with comparable features.

Don't consider the rest, particularly RCA, Philips, GE, Apex, Magnavox,

Funai,
Sylvania, and all the others. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

Anyhow, how often do you repair folks see Sharp TVs in for repair when
they've failed on their own (Not lightning, physical damage, etc).

Not often. Many Sharp sets usually come in for problems caused by cold solder
joints, which happens to any television set. When the bad joints are located
and fixed, the set usually works again. Other than that, it's hard to think up
a situation where a Sharp set failed due to a defect that developed on its own.

Others here may be able to relate their experiences, but so far, I've been
impressed with Sharp as well. - Reinhart
Deke

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:%S%Ra.93857$ye4.65839@sccrnsc01...
You don't mention Zenith/Goldstar/LG....what do you think of those sets?

Personally, I'd like to help keep the "little guys" in business and many

of
them sell Zenith around here...most of them are excellent and honest

repair
techs as well...so I don't think they'd sell junk sets.

William

Go see if any of them have one of the 27" flat screen Zeniths. It'll knock
your eyes out.
You'll get varying opinions about Zenith, and they have made some lemons.
On the other hand, I've seen some Zeniths made in Springfield, MO that are
20 years old, and will still throw an awesome picture. If your local
merchants sell Zeniths, buy one. And if you want to make the little lady
happy, they still make consoles. Buy with your eyes, and support your
local economy. Screw the discount chain stores, especially Wal-Mart.
Deke

Dbowey

Muntz is not bad for the money if you can fix them yourself.
Don
kc8adu

so someone bought the muntz name?
whos set are they rebadging?
"Dbowey" wrote in message
Muntz is not bad for the money if you can fix them yourself.
Don

bigmike

"kc8adu" wrote in message
so someone bought the muntz name?
whos set are they rebadging?

Muntz? I damm near forgot all about them

LASERandDVDfan

Thinking about a new Magnavox, Sylvania, or Emerson television? They are
currently controlled by Funai

Sylvania isn't Philips any more? When did that happen?

Very recently.

http://www.funai-corp.com/

And it looks like Magnavox may not be owned by Funai after all. In this case,
they're probably still controlled by Philips, but a lot of their stuff is still
made by Fuani. - Reinhart
bigmike

Just go find a set with the picture and features you like. The differences
between all sets are getting less and less. There is no longer a brand that
knocks the others out. All brands have made adjustments to quality so they
can compete in price. That's about it...

"Deke" wrote in message
news

"LASERandDVDfan" wrote in message
Go see if any of them have one of the 27" flat screen Zeniths. It'll

knock
your eyes out.

Later on, look at the repair bill, it'll knock your wallet out!

A little joke.

Zeniths made in Springfield, MO that are
20 years old, and will still throw an awesome picture.

That's 20 years ago. We are talking about Zenith within the span of

seven
years. They made some good sets in the past, specifically during the

early to
mid 1980s. However, their sets from the late 1980s and up to now are

not
that
great. There are better, higher quality choices out there from Japanese
brands.

And if you want to make the little lady
happy, they still make consoles.

So does Thomson with some of their RCA console offerings.

Buy with your eyes, and support your
local economy.

If you mean supporting an "American" company, think again. Zenith is no

longer
an American company. It is now owned by LG, which is based in South

Korea, and
has been for almost five years.

No **** Sherlock. Didnt I say local economy?

Zenith is as much of an American company as
RCA is today. That point is quite valid as RCA is also not an American

company
anymore, being owned by Thomson, which is controlled by France. RCA

went
kaput
as a corporate entity in 1986 and was bought by GE. GE would later sell

RCA to
Thomson, keeping only NBC to themselves.

Thinking about a new Magnavox, Sylvania, or Emerson television? They

are
currently controlled by Funai, and they are one of the manufacturers

which
has
earned the title of being the epitome of cheap crap in my informed

opinion.

Thanks for the lesson in common knowledge information.

Screw the discount chain stores, especially Wal-Mart.

Now, now. Some, but not all, of Wal-Mart's offerings are decent. They

do
sell
Panasonic, just not a very good variety of that brand. For bargain

fodder
sets
at Wal-Mart, consider Sanyo or Orion. You might even consider Philips,
although I don't care that much for their current offerings at this

time.
The
rest that's there you can forget about. - Reinhart

They also sell Pioneer big screens, which are excellent TVs, but only from
their web site. What they have on the floor has paid the rent for many
repair shops, especially RCA.

Deke

LASERandDVDfan

If you mean supporting an "American" company, think again. Zenith is no
longer
an American company. It is now owned by LG, which is based in South

Korea, and
has been for almost five years.

No **** Sherlock. Didnt I say local economy?

First off, there was no need for profanity.

Secondly, what are you talking about in regards to "supporting the local
economy?"

If you mean the repair community, then okay, I can see where buying a Zenith
would be advantageous to certain people, but ultimately at the expense of the
customer.

They also sell Pioneer big screens, which are excellent TVs, but only from
their web site.

Then what's the point of buying a big screen from Wal-Mart?

You can't audition it without actually taking the plunge. You may have to pay
for shipping and handling. The set may get damaged in transit.

I'd rather buy a big screen from a store I can walk into and check it out for
myself than go through the potential hassles of ordering a set online. -
Reinhart
bigmike

[...]

I agree completely. I buy most electronics locally, because the odds of
something being defective are very high nowadays. It's nice to walk in and
see what your getting face to face, and to be able to return it instantly if
it has a problem.