Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any use for a 1.5hp DC motor?

My old treadmill wouldn't sell, so put it out by the street; but first
pulled out the motor.

Why a DC motor, rather than AC? Is there anything in particular it is good
for, other than a treadmill?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Makes great drive for a BBQ spit. Great speed control.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
My old treadmill wouldn't sell, so put it out by the street; but first
pulled out the motor.

Why a DC motor, rather than AC? Is there anything in particular it is good
for, other than a treadmill?

Just visited a shop where a guy used the same type of motor (with a
power supply from ebay) for a continuously-variable-speed drill press.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Toller :
My old treadmill wouldn't sell, so put it out by the street; but first
pulled out the motor.

Why a DC motor, rather than AC? Is there anything in particular it is good
for, other than a treadmill?

DC because it permits you to vary the motor speed to anything
you want. Largish AC motors (eg: 1/6HP+) are usually locked to
line-frequency.

Especially useful in lathes and other woodworking equipment (like the
drillpress someone else mentioned). Without a DC motor, you're stuck
either changing belts, or using highly complex variable pulley
arrangements (similar to snowmobile and automotive CVTs) to change
tool speed.

Highschool electric car projects too, tho, those are usually 12 or 24V.

Should have pulled out the control electronics too. Together, in working
condition, it's worth a fair amount.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Apr 27, 1:25 pm, "Toller" wrote:
My old treadmill wouldn't sell, so put it out by the street; but first
pulled out the motor.

Why a DC motor, rather than AC? Is there anything in particular it is good
for, other than a treadmill?

Little electric scooter, run on batteries. what's the voltage?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Toller :
[...]

I did put out the controls; fortunately there is even a wiring diagram.
It seems small for a 1.5hp motor, but is a GE. Are DC motors smaller and
AC?
My lathe has a 1/2hp motor on it. Would this be a reasonable replacement;
assuming I can get the right size pulley?

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Toller :

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

Should have pulled out the control electronics too. Together, in working
condition, it's worth a fair amount.

I did put out the controls; fortunately there is even a wiring diagram.

The wiring diagram won't be of much use unless you're into doing your
own electronics. _Without_ the matching speed controller this thing
may be useless (eg: rev too fast for your application). DC motor
top ends are usually considerably higher than equivalent AC induction
motors, and without the controller, it won't regulate speed very well
under load (or at all).

It seems small for a 1.5hp motor, but is a GE. Are DC motors smaller and
AC?

Usually.

My lathe has a 1/2hp motor on it. Would this be a reasonable replacement;
assuming I can get the right size pulley?

If you still had the controller board and could jury rig the thing,
probably. Without it, hard to tell.

If the motor has more than two wires and an obvious ground wire,
I think you're screwed without the control circuit.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
My old treadmill wouldn't sell, so put it out by the street; but first
pulled out the motor.

Why a DC motor, rather than AC? Is there anything in particular it is

good
for, other than a treadmill?

By "DC" I assume you mean than it has permanent magnet pole pieces.

Compared to a "universal" motor (which is a series field winding "DC" motor
at heart), the permanent magnet motor "tends" to be constant speed with the
speed proportional to the applied voltage.

The 1.5 hp rating likely has something to do with the supposed response to a
sudden increase in load.

As another poster said, it would make a great drive for some shop machines.
The "locked rotor" current can be quite high and there should be some means
of shutting down power BEFORE either the motor or power supply is fried.

"They" make some cheap garbage disposals with such motors. I put one in my
rental unit but it didn't last long. As I recall the motor didn't fail (I
entertained salvaging the motor and the bridge rectifier) so I guess it must
have leaked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:25:42 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

My old treadmill wouldn't sell, so put it out by the street; but first
pulled out the motor.

Why a DC motor, rather than AC? Is there anything in particular it is good
for, other than a treadmill?

DC motors are much more expensive than AC motors. DC motors can vary
in speed using a variable resistor, AC can not. DC motors are useful
for buffing wheels, lathes, grinders, sharpening stones, sanders, etc.
If your motor is a "Baldor" it's a very good brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 27, 1:04 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
Toller wrote:
My old treadmill wouldn't sell, so put it out by the street; but first
pulled out the motor.

Why a DC motor, rather than AC? Is there anything in particular it is good
for, other than a treadmill?

Just visited a shop where a guy used the same type of motor (with a
power supply from ebay) for a continuously-variable-speed drill press.

Thanks for the idea -- hadn't crossed my mind. Next time the
disilliusioned homeowner calls the local call-in free trader show w/
one, I'll pay more attention! Like Toller's, they're nearly
always desperate to get rid of the things...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" writes:
My old treadmill wouldn't sell, so put it out by the street; but first
pulled out the motor.

Why a DC motor, rather than AC? Is there anything in particular it is good
for, other than a treadmill?

Permanent magnet DC motors are easy to control the speed of. Speed is
proportional to voltage, while the current varies as needed to maintain
speed as the load changes.

Old treadmill motors are favourites for converting small lathes to
variable speed drive, both metal and wood lathes.

Dave

1.5HP motor problem Alex Metalworking 26 September 6th 05 01:03 PM
Gasoline in oil, B&S 15.5hp fish Home Repair 14 June 4th 05 03:03 AM
Need Help w/Briggs 4.5hp troubleshoot John L. Jordan Home Ownership 0 April 23rd 05 08:21 PM
WTD: 5hp 3phase motor, Phx, AZ area Marty Escarcega Metalworking 1 March 14th 04 01:42 AM
Amperage for 5HP table saw? _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Woodworking 27 March 7th 04 01:20 PM