Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dimming Groups of lights with dedicated switches

I am planning on installing recessed lighting in my basement and would
like to control these lights with dedicated switches on the same
circuit. Here is the scenario:

Group #1 - 6, 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #1
Group #2 - 10 50W cans controlled by Dimmer #2
Group #3 - 2 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #3

I plan to do this on a dedicated 15A, 120V circuit. I am not trying
to implement 3-way or 4-way switching.

Could someone describe, or better yet point me in the direction of an
illustration/diagram for this type of scenario?

Thanks,

Marc Mueller

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 9:34 am, Marc Mueller wrote:
I am planning on installing recessed lighting in my basement and would
like to control these lights with dedicated switches on the same
circuit. Here is the scenario:

Group #1 - 6, 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #1
Group #2 - 10 50W cans controlled by Dimmer #2
Group #3 - 2 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #3

I plan to do this on a dedicated 15A, 120V circuit. I am not trying
to implement 3-way or 4-way switching.

Could someone describe, or better yet point me in the direction of an
illustration/diagram for this type of scenario?

Thanks,

Marc Mueller

I'm not sure what the question is. This is just straight forward
using 3 independent dimmer switches, that are on one 15 amp circuit,
right? You have a 14 gauge romex going into a switch box, 3 dimmers,
3 romex leaving box going to light fixtures, which are daisy chained
on appropriate romex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 9:34 am, Marc Mueller wrote:
I am planning on installing recessed lighting in my basement and would
like to control these lights with dedicated switches on the same
circuit. Here is the scenario:

Group #1 - 6, 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #1
Group #2 - 10 50W cans controlled by Dimmer #2
Group #3 - 2 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #3

I plan to do this on a dedicated 15A, 120V circuit. I am not trying
to implement 3-way or 4-way switching.

Could someone describe, or better yet point me in the direction of an
illustration/diagram for this type of scenario?

Thanks,

Marc Mueller

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/ has lots of info and diagrams. Use
600 watt dimmers. Your total watts is less than 80% of a 15 amp
circuit, so you're good to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Apr 2007 07:34:35 -0700, Marc Mueller
wrote:

I am planning on installing recessed lighting in my basement and would
like to control these lights with dedicated switches on the same
circuit. Here is the scenario:

Group #1 - 6, 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #1
Group #2 - 10 50W cans controlled by Dimmer #2
Group #3 - 2 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #3

I plan to do this on a dedicated 15A, 120V circuit. I am not trying
to implement 3-way or 4-way switching.

Could someone describe, or better yet point me in the direction of an
illustration/diagram for this type of scenario?

Thanks,

Marc Mueller

Find yourself a theater tech.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am planning on installing recessed lighting in my basement and would
like to control these lights with dedicated switches on the same
circuit. *Here is the scenario:

Group #1 - 6, 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #1
Group #2 - 10 50W cans controlled by Dimmer #2
Group #3 - 2 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #3

I plan to do this on a dedicated 15A, 120V circuit. *I am not trying
to implement 3-way or 4-way switching.

Could someone describe, or better yet point me in the direction of an
illustration/diagram for this type of scenario?

Thanks,

Marc Mueller

Find yourself a theater tech.- Hide quoted text -

you must derate them if they are all in the same box!

Posted to alt.home.repair

volts500 wrote:
On Apr 27, 9:34 am, Marc Mueller wrote:

I am planning on installing recessed lighting in my basement and would
like to control these lights with dedicated switches on the same
circuit. Here is the scenario:

Group #1 - 6, 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #1
Group #2 - 10 50W cans controlled by Dimmer #2
Group #3 - 2 75W cans controlled by Dimmer #3

I plan to do this on a dedicated 15A, 120V circuit. I am not trying
to implement 3-way or 4-way switching.

Could someone describe, or better yet point me in the direction of an
illustration/diagram for this type of scenario?

Thanks,

Marc Mueller

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/ has lots of info and diagrams. Use
600 watt dimmers. Your total watts is less than 80% of a 15 amp
circuit, so you're good to go.

I may be mis remembering, but isn't there in the NEC a limit on the
total number of fixtues / devices on a circuit,
regardless of the total wattage drawn by the devices / fixtures?

Isn't 18 devces / fixtures too many?
Posted to alt.home.repair

A theater tech? For a simple 3 gang switch?

--
Steve Barker

"Goedjn" wrote in message

Find yourself a theater tech.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 09:29:24 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

A theater tech? For a simple 3 gang switch?

It won't be a simple 3-gang switch when the tech gets
done with it. What kind of studio was this, again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 4:21 pm, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

I may be mis remembering, but isn't there in the NEC a limit on the
total number of fixtues / devices on a circuit,
regardless of the total wattage drawn by the devices / fixtures?

Isn't 18 devces / fixtures too many?

Good catch. Yes, any equipment fastened in place can't exceed 50% of
the circuit rating (NEC 210.23). If the fixtures are rated for 100
watts, he could only put 9 on a 15 amp circuit.

`

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might as well as use 12 guage and wire it that way.
I would be more interested in maxing out the rated limits in
the switches. They do make more higher end stuff that can
handle more continueous power.

Tom

wrote:

I may be mis remembering, but isn't there in the NEC a limit on the
total number of fixtues / devices on a circuit,
regardless of the total wattage drawn by the devices / fixtures?

Isn't 18 devces / fixtures too many?

Good catch. Yes, any equipment fastened in place can't exceed 50% of
the circuit rating (NEC 210.23). If the fixtures are rated for 100
watts, he could only put 9 on a 15 amp circuit.

`

Flickering/dimming lights Tony B. Home Repair 12 May 20th 16 02:44 PM
Dimming mains halogen lights Chris Styles UK diy 4 October 28th 06 12:13 AM
dimming lights krrrg Home Repair 10 April 5th 06 03:55 PM
Lights flickering/dimming Luckymom Home Repair 3 June 13th 04 06:14 PM
Lights dimming Can2002 UK diy 19 May 9th 04 07:46 AM