Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

Default broken nut

Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"3G" wrote in message ...
Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

If the nut broke while the blade was running, it would have wobbled and
likely given you visual and audio feedback and you would have turned off the
saw! The blade might have stalled ... quit turning ... most likely
scenario.

No, but I have had other scary stuff happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"3G" wrote in message ...
Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

Ya got lucky. Only a couple of things can happen there. One, the hub can
spin freely in the hole in the blade. Two, the blade could wobble. Three,
something could cut loose and launch.

Replace with a high grade steel nut.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles wrote:
"3G" wrote in message ...

Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

If the nut broke while the blade was running, it would have wobbled and
likely given you visual and audio feedback and you would have turned off the
saw! The blade might have stalled ... quit turning ... most likely
scenario.

No, but I have had other scary stuff happen.

Lets hear about it. Here is one for fun: Try installing an
adjustable bit in a drill press.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

"3G" wrote in message ...
Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

Something similar: Back in the 1950's we had a 33HP outboard motor with an
external flywheel. The crankshaft broke at the flywheel while the engine
was going full-bore. The flywheel landed in the boat and drilled several
holes in a wooden seat and floorboards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 01:14:11 +0000, Robert Allison wrote:

Charles wrote:
"3G" wrote in message ...

Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

If the nut broke while the blade was running, it would have wobbled and
likely given you visual and audio feedback and you would have turned off the
saw! The blade might have stalled ... quit turning ... most likely
scenario.

No, but I have had other scary stuff happen.

Lets hear about it. Here is one for fun: Try installing an
adjustable bit in a drill press.

I've seen a guy use a cheap paint stirrer (like a little propeller)
meant for an electric drill, in a laminate Trimmer. Things seemed almost
in slow motion at first, it took on a gradual bend, then worse, them bang,
**** everywhere. No injuries, he was lucky. Back to OP. I once made up a
large table saw from an inch and a quarter shaft and bearings I picked up
cheap. I got the rotation wrong first up and the nut unscrewed. Saw
blade wobbled a bit and I switched off real quick. No big deal.

--
Bill
http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/

Ode to the nut Lew Hodgett Woodworking 16 July 25th 06 03:35 PM
What Is M6 Nut? Jack Home Repair 6 April 15th 06 07:48 PM
Trinitron Monitor Broken - Made Clicking Noises, Now Broken [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 3rd 05 10:57 PM
FA: Broken PIONEER DVL-V888 Laserdisc DVD / Broken sharp VL-H860U Hi8camcorder w/ LCD Screen robotron -X- Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 04 03:30 AM