DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   broken nut (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/198888-broken-nut.html)

3G April 24th 07 11:02 PM

broken nut

Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

Charles April 24th 07 11:12 PM

broken nut

"3G" wrote in message ...
Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

If the nut broke while the blade was running, it would have wobbled and
likely given you visual and audio feedback and you would have turned off the
saw! The blade might have stalled ... quit turning ... most likely
scenario.

No, but I have had other scary stuff happen.

Steve B April 24th 07 11:33 PM

broken nut

"3G" wrote in message ...
Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

Ya got lucky. Only a couple of things can happen there. One, the hub can
spin freely in the hole in the blade. Two, the blade could wobble. Three,
something could cut loose and launch.

Replace with a high grade steel nut.

Steve

Robert Allison April 25th 07 02:14 AM

broken nut

Charles wrote:
"3G" wrote in message ...

Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

If the nut broke while the blade was running, it would have wobbled and
likely given you visual and audio feedback and you would have turned off the
saw! The blade might have stalled ... quit turning ... most likely
scenario.

No, but I have had other scary stuff happen.

Lets hear about it. Here is one for fun: Try installing an
adjustable bit in a drill press.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

JB April 25th 07 10:43 AM

broken nut

"3G" wrote in message ...
Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

Something similar: Back in the 1950's we had a 33HP outboard motor with an
external flywheel. The crankshaft broke at the flywheel while the engine
was going full-bore. The flywheel landed in the boat and drilled several
holes in a wooden seat and floorboards.

Bill April 25th 07 07:35 PM

broken nut

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 01:14:11 +0000, Robert Allison wrote:

Charles wrote:
"3G" wrote in message ...

Has anyone ever have this happen?

today I went to change the table saw blade and when I unscrewed the nut
that holds on the blade, it was cracked in half.
I was thinking after I replaced the blade and installed a new nut what
would have happened if the nut broke in half while spinning.

I must say "in all the years of changing saw blades I have never seen or
heard of this happening".

Has anyone ever have this happen?

If the nut broke while the blade was running, it would have wobbled and
likely given you visual and audio feedback and you would have turned off the
saw! The blade might have stalled ... quit turning ... most likely
scenario.

No, but I have had other scary stuff happen.

Lets hear about it. Here is one for fun: Try installing an
adjustable bit in a drill press.

I've seen a guy use a cheap paint stirrer (like a little propeller)
meant for an electric drill, in a laminate Trimmer. Things seemed almost
in slow motion at first, it took on a gradual bend, then worse, them bang,
**** everywhere. No injuries, he was lucky. Back to OP. I once made up a
large table saw from an inch and a quarter shaft and bearings I picked up
cheap. I got the rotation wrong first up and the nut unscrewed. Saw
blade wobbled a bit and I switched off real quick. No big deal.

--
Bill
http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/