Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool timer wiring dilemma

I am in the process of installing an aquarite salt water chlorine generator.
Before I do anything I want to make sure of something and get some
clarification.

Three pictures for reference at a pool forum where there seems to be some
confusion.
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ed=1#post44743

Picture A shows the intermatic timer with the terminal protector labeling
the(5) terminals as ( from left to right).
1 ( Line)
2 ( Load)
3 (Line)
4 (Load)

Now, in picture B, coming into the timer on the right are the pump motor
wires and this confuses me.
Green to ground- Ok
Black to 4 (load) - Ok
and
Black to 1 (Line) Huh?

Coming in from the left are the wires from the aquarite.
From the aquarite manual I read as if it should be wired as such...(
aquarite is pre-wired for 240VAC)
Green to ground.
Red to ? ( load 2?)
Black to ?(load 4?)

What confuses me here is that one power line( Black) from the pool pump is
wired to 1 (Line) terminal. I thought this should be wired to a load
terminal?
The second power line (Black) is wired to 4(Load)
Green to ground lug.

THAT said it appears the that line coming into it( red wire)is from the
switch ( that I use to manually turn the pump on an off) the in housing just
below the timer box. This pump switch is and x-10 wide /flat type switch.

The toggle switch below IT also controls power to the pump( it is left in
the ON position)
Pool light switch and GFI outlet are NOT affected by either the pool pump or
toggle switch, both have constant power.( I assume the light runs FROM the
GFI.

I have no clue what the black box between the light and the GFI is.
I do have a remote control x-10 to turn on and off the pump/light?